NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Salt Water Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-17, 04:41 PM   #11
Taylure
Native

Electric chicken and red/white colors for your clousers. Everything eats EC and trout love the red/white.
Taylure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 02:12 AM   #12
theosprey
Native

I've found there is no need for a swivel with a spoon fly. 6 feet of 20lb floro and roll on with life. Don't let anyone give you too hard of a time about throwing a spoon fly. It's just a redfish, don't let yourself get caught up in churching them up.

It the wind won't lay down, consider taking a spinning rod with you. I'm fond of a good 2500 reel with 30lb braid on a 6ft to 6.5ft medium action rod. My two favorite convential redfish lures are a Johnson Flats Intruder Spoon and a Heddon Spook.. The Heddon One Knocker is easy to walk the dog with and plenty loud; cutting the middle treble off the Heddon Super Spook will make it walk a little easier. Another benefit of the Spook this time of year is the trout you will pick up.

My photo uploading didn't work out. I'll try again at a later date.

Team Maddog
theosprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 11:25 AM   #13
Sam_MTB
Native

I went to Charleston a few weekends ago and caught them at low tide on Shrimp patterns and a few locally tied patterns (order a few of Brighton's Rhedd Butler from Lowcountry http://lowcountryflyshop.com/shop/al...r-redfish-fly/). If you get the chance to cast at tailing fish, the go-to is usually a crab pattern (look up EP Crab patterns).

When I lived near the beach, I used an 8wt, but I've really enjoyed throwing a 7wt here recently. Right now I have an Arc Redfish floating line which I really like (https://www.arcfishing.com/product/arc-bonefishredfish/). I've fished the Rio redfish and bonefish lines as well- those work fine as well.

Like the above guys said, 6ft of straight 20lb fluoro tippet works great. I've tapered a few with 20-12, but its not too necessary. I think that it is more important to get used to casting a bigger rod and bigger flies, especially if you have been casting size 20 nymphs every weekend.
Old 11-22-17, 03:40 AM   #14
Dylar
Stocker

I realize this advice is probably past its sell-by date as I type it, but a couple of thoughts:

1. If you're only going to fish on the inside a 7wt is adequate and an 8 is spot on. If you anticipate doing any significant amount of fishing in the surf, you might consider a 9. They're a little tougher to manage in the suds and swell.

2. Fishing in NC and the SC Low Country, I haven't found redfish to be terribly fly selective. It has usually been more a matter of just finding redfish and getting pretty much anything down at eye level in front of one without spooking it off. Pretty much all of the patterns suggested in this thread should work, and more besides, provided you locate redfish and cast reasonably well. Make sure you carry some flies with lead and some with bead chain. Some light/some dark across a range of basic pattern types (poagie/shrimp/crab). Like I said, I don't think they're overwhelmingly selective about flies, but my own bias is toward smaller patterns, stuff that will make a less conspicuous entry.
Dylar is online now   Reply With Quote