NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-17, 01:49 PM   #1
splatek16
Native

Default Good morning in the water

Was able to carve out about 90 minutes this morning before having to head into work (you can see how much work I'm getting done). This weekend I'll probably not get out because of peewee playoffs for my boy (please send all the good vibes for a safe game and a win). When I showed up I saw one angler walking in the direction of the river and a couple other cars/trucks parked... "Ugh" I thought, realizing that what I thought might be a simple peaceful morning on the river might turn to combat fishing. When I arrived at the river there were two anglers casting. I politely asked if they'd prefer I hop in below or above them, the consensus was I should start above them.... Ok. I also asked what they were catching them on. "Nothing" this further lessened the appeal , but I pushed on.
I tried to create enough distance between us so that I wasn't impacting their fishing and I could stay out of the way of the gorgeous loops they were throwing.

After getting upstream I realised their were actually three anglers on the stream

These guys are gorgeous and always restore hope, because they rarely waste time in water where there aren't any fish. I begun casting. Missed my first fish. Then proceeded to land a couple rainbows, all in the 9-12" range. I've been playing with this system for adjusting depth, quickly and easily, so I adjusted the depth. And bam there were the browns. One after another, even on the dangle. The water was pea soup green, as you can see above, and I was fishing the most drab olive brown fly I had. The browns liked it; then the bows started eating it. I ended up pulling 6-8 fish outta one run. When I moved things didn't change, maybe even got better, because the fish got slightly larger. I didn't measure, but one of the other guys says, as one of the browns leaps from the water, "that's a nice fish, whatta ya say, at least 16" it was a good fight, that's for sure. Maybe I should've measured him. As I was leaving, the bite slowed, so I decided to change my point fly; it was the first time I'd changed flies all morning (if it ain't broke mentality). And bam last cast of the day I hook into this gorgeous brown.

Every fin on his body was teaming with bright orange. He was fiesty and upon getting hooked just felt like he was stuck to the bottom. Like I was bringing up an anchor.

Sorry there aren't more pictures. I've really been wrestling with my new net and set up and trying to return the fish as quickly and safely as possible.

Hope y'all have fun at the fling, catch a ton of fish this weekend, and that all your teams win!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-17, 05:11 PM   #2
jkwolek1971
Native

Nice report And NICE fish.
jkwolek1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-17, 10:17 PM   #3
GoutUnlimited
Native

Thats a nice fish for sure, the net kinda does a tunnel effect so it doesn't look that big. Take him out for a pic so we'll believe you.

Glad you got out before work, I was afraid the kids were out protesting some statue, scandal, or what to call them? they? its? Wish Diceman was still around he'd get this sorted.
Old 11-04-17, 01:38 AM   #4
FlickNdip
Native

Yup. There sure are some really nice fish down there towards IF. Much better fishery then further up...

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!
FlickNdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-17, 07:49 AM   #5
gau16
Native

That's a great looking brown there. Nice work.
gau16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-17, 08:04 AM   #6
splatek16
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
Thats a nice fish for sure, the net kinda does a tunnel effect so it doesn't look that big. Take him out for a pic so we'll believe you.

Glad you got out before work, I was afraid the kids were out protesting some statue, scandal, or what to call them? they? its? Wish Diceman was still around he'd get this sorted.

Omg, the dice....
And I'm trying to touch the fish as little as possible. But yeah, I need better photo taking skills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote