NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Fishing Tips and Techniques
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-17, 10:55 AM   #11
vancheesey
Native

Hey guys thanks for all the input! There is something in me that pushes towards finding the simplest of a form, like riding a single speed hardtail... I ordered the cheepo one on Amazon just to give it a whirl, I'll share the results and thoughts... now I just need some good zen music to go along...
Old 11-06-17, 11:07 AM   #12
iso1600
Native

man if you like single speeds and aren't embarrassed to say it, you will likely love tenkara. I think single speeds/fixies and tenkara are a good comparison which unfortunately both get a bad rap lol.
Old 11-06-17, 11:20 AM   #13
vancheesey
Native

I love mountain biking but unfortunately my work load is so heavy I can only have one hobby right now... I used to really enjoy crushing dudes on 10k space age bikes on my single speed hard tail... when I retire I will go back to my dream of finally bringing my new sport to the world... I want to combine three gun competition with mountain bike racing... ride from station to station and engage targets but all three guns have to be carried the whole time. I'm picturibg like a 15 mile trail with 10 stations...
Old 11-06-17, 09:09 PM   #14
Back Country
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso1600 View Post
What can you do on a small stream with a reel that you can't do with an appropriately sized tenkara rod and proper line setup?

Nothing that I can think of. Maybe enjoy the added weight and annoyance of a reel and a lot of line that you're not using?

Last edited by Back Country; 11-06-17 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Changed wording.
Back Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-17, 11:19 AM   #15
David Hulsey
Trout Wrangler

Hi Van,
Personally I do enjoy Tenkara fishing in its element. Larger rivers not so much but in our smaller waters here in the Appalachians it works great. For sure go for the shorter models, The trees will eat the longer ones. Can a Tenkara rod do anything better than a conventional fly rod set up? probably not. You can get extremely good drifts with a properly set up TK rod and catch a ton of trout. I use Tenkara USA's Rhodo for myself and for Tenkara Guide Trips. It collapses down to a little over 8 feet and is short enough for me to move around in all but the tightest of cover. I take mine on hiking trips anytime I'm near water and don't even know it's in my pack.
For Large rivers, I personally don't see an advantage. Of course, I'm always open to suggestions.

Last edited by David Hulsey; 11-07-17 at 11:50 AM.
David Hulsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-17, 04:50 PM   #16
iso1600
Native

David, the Rhodo is just about the perfect size for our Southern Appalachian streams. 2.7 to 3.2m is the sweet spot IMO.