NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Firearms & Shooting
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-17, 08:29 PM   #1
paulH
Native

Default Quail Hunting

I. have an English setter that I try to hunt each year. We usually go to Red Oak Plantation because it is only 45 minutes from my house and they will let you bring your dog. My question is has any one gone to South Fork Preserve in Danielsville near Commerce and hunted? They will also let you use your own dog and put out 10 quail for you to hunt. Unfortunately pen raise quail for your own dog is about as good as it gets. Had someone close that raised quail and we would turn them lose on our farm but he quite. Any input would be great. Thanks.
paulH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 10:03 PM   #2
dink
Hall of Fame

Never been to the locations you mentioned.You may want to check out Noontoola Creek Farms. You can bring your dog and hunt unguided.They will put
as many quail and pheasant as you want. Beautiful place to hunt.Also they have a sporting clays to..

Hope this helps.
dink
dink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-17, 08:09 AM   #3
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Buckeyes Plantation in Jersey (between Monroe and Social Circle). Was $8/bird and self hunt.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-17, 08:38 PM   #4
theosprey
Native

I'm interested to see the replies this thread gets.

I'd love to find an affordable place to take my German Shorthair that wasn't a direct put and take operation... Something like an early release or continual release operation where you pay by the bird.

I've heard good things about Buckeye's. I'm pretty sure it is a same day put and take type place.

Search South Fork on craigslist for a review of their dove shoot. I've never been to South Fork, so let us know what you think of their operation if you go.

I plan to take 2 trips to the delta this winter for woodcock. I wanted to shoot wild birds over my dog, but decided I didn't have the dog power for a long trip to Texas, Oklahoma, or Kansas.

Additionally, I'll be running three Johnny Houses this year to keep the dog happy.
Here is a video explaining what a johnny house is. Maybe the link will work.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QUe8Ket-m8o" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUe8Ket-m8o

Team Maddog
theosprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-17, 02:47 PM   #5
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

...I used to (back in the 60's-70's) hunt a lot down in Alma and East of Albany...knew some guys who had farms / land there...beautiful terrain...flat...some marshy areas...rattlers...lots of natural birds...don't know if you want to travel to S Ga, but there's some fine bird hunting...I think nowadays, unless you connect with some farmer or private landowner, most of the Quail "Plantation" operations are pretty high $$...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 01:49 PM   #6
paulH
Native

Cool Quail Hunting

I may try South Fork firsnt it was only $100.00 for ten birds. Noontootla is very pretty since I have passed it fishing many times but they want $175 for 12 birds. If someone ever would want to split a trip I might be interested. Need to get her out by myself first this season to make sure her behaves. We did not get to hunt last year due to me having a job out of town. Thanks for the help and will post once I get this done.
paulH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 11:43 PM   #7
wspanic
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counslrman View Post
...I used to (back in the 60's-70's) hunt a lot down in Alma and East of Albany...knew some guys who had farms / land there...beautiful terrain...flat...some marshy areas...rattlers...lots of natural birds...don't know if you want to travel to S Ga, but there's some fine bird hunting...I think nowadays, unless you connect with some farmer or private landowner, most of the Quail "Plantation" operations are pretty high $$...

Blessings!

Jimmy
My family's farms are all just east of Alma the wild bird populations have vanished over the years there

We only do our own put and take hunts these days, if we stumble on a wild covey we are so excited to see it we wouldn't dare shoot any of them

I don't know if it's the predators, habitat, farm chemicals or all of the above but the wild birds are gone and it's heart breaking
wspanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM   #8
cjones
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspanic View Post
I don't know if it's the predators, habitat, farm chemicals or all of the above but the wild birds are gone and it's heart breaking
Probably a combination of all of the above. The economic push to turn every square inch of ground under to squeeze in a few more rows of crop have pushed a lot of the habitat out. Even CRP ground seems to have fewer weeds (habitat) than my lawn. Add to that the ease at which landowners can load up a small sprayer onto their ATV of choice and blast Grazon (or other weedy/brushy herbicide) onto fence rows to keep them clean, and there just isn't habitat left for birds.

I'm not pointing fingers - I grew up on the farm. Growing up, we had a covey that stayed within 100 yards of the house. Over the years, urban sprawl has turned the open land that grandad and I use to run his rabbit dogs through the cotton fields into fine burmuda lawns and ping flamingos.
cjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM   #9
fishnpreacher
Director, Hall of Fame Member

I saw a wild covey of 10~12 birds about 1/4 mile from my house. I had not seen a covey in over 10 years, so I was pleasantly surprised. My son heard them in the evenings. Grandson (whos ten) wanted to know whst kind of bird made those sounds. Hes never seen a wild quail.
Too many skunks, cats, other varmints around.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM   #10
narcodog
Native

You might look at Owltown Outfitters in Blairsville.
narcodog is offline   Reply With Quote