NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-17, 03:37 PM   #1
richf7
Native

Default Turnouts and fishing alongside the Toccoa on GA Hwy. 60

On my way to Deep Hole Campground last month there were several people parked on turnouts right on the river which would accommodate a couple of cars. None of them were close to private property, but I was moving too fast and couldn’t tell if there were no trespassing signs. Does anyone know if those are public waters?waters?
richf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-17, 02:32 PM   #2
AK Pipeline
Native

Default yes

There are some public parking fishing spots on the upper toccoa. There are 3-4 right after you turn right at Van Zants. I think they stock that area in the summer, but I'm not certain. I floated that stretch last winter with a buddy and we didn't get into any trout until we hit the DH, so I'm guessing it's a little warm for health numbers of hold-over fish, but who knows - with people feeding the fish, and regular stocking during the summer, I'm sure there are some pigs in there that survive the warm months. I seem to recall 1-2 parking spots on the highway you reference (is that morganton highway?), and there used to be a fish stocking tube either on that highway or at the road near van zants.
AK Pipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-17, 04:06 PM   #3
richf7
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Pipeline View Post
There are some public parking fishing spots on the upper toccoa. There are 3-4 right after you turn right at Van Zants. I think they stock that area in the summer, but I'm not certain. I floated that stretch last winter with a buddy and we didn't get into any trout until we hit the DH, so I'm guessing it's a little warm for health numbers of hold-over fish, but who knows - with people feeding the fish, and regular stocking during the summer, I'm sure there are some pigs in there that survive the warm months. I seem to recall 1-2 parking spots on the highway you reference (is that morganton highway?), and there used to be a fish stocking tube either on that highway or at the road near van zants.
Thanks for the info, AK. Iíve only been to Deep Hole once and Iím not familiar enough with the area to know Van Zantís or if I was driving on Morgantown Hwy.
Sounds like a good reason to get back up there!
Old 10-06-17, 08:25 PM   #4
csharp1171
Native

The first trout I ever caught was at those pull offs. I had no idea what I was doing and managed to catch 5 rainbows. There are some deep spots from what I remember.
csharp1171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-17, 08:34 PM   #5
richf7
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Pipeline View Post
Is that area DH?
Old 11-14-17, 03:48 PM   #6
Native, formerly mwmclaughlin1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf7 View Post
Is that area DH?
You can find the DH map here and that might help you pin point where you were in correlation to the pulloffs and DH water

http://www.unicoioutfitters.com/tocc...-harvest.shtml
Old 11-14-17, 03:57 PM   #7
richf7
Native

Thanks.
Old 11-14-17, 04:29 PM   #8
AK Pipeline
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf7 View Post
Is that area DH?
No - it's above the DH. I think they stop stocking above the DH during the DH season, and then during the non-DH season, they stock a few points up river from Van Zants up to the campground. Just guessing here - not certain.
AK Pipeline is offline   Reply With Quote