NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-17, 08:50 PM   #1
splatek16

Default Small stream + hooch

@Streamsidesam and I finally got out for a small stream adventure Monday after months of trying to coordinate schedules. My dang work schedule is really impeding my getting to the mountains. I'm gonna have to talk to the boss/dean about this nonsense.

At any rate, we met at the regular meet up spot about ten am and quickly got on our way to a favorite small stream. @sam told me he had been recently and had an epic day of like 100 fish at this stream, but I remained cautiously optimistic.

The scenery was sick, and hard to beat.

The fishing on the other hand was lack luster. When we finally met up at lunch I asked Sam how many he'd gotten, "zero" which was exactly how many I'd gotten. Dang it was slow.
We stopped and ate our PB&J

Then got back after it.
It was a little better after lunch, just a little, I think we both ended the day with half dozen trout, although these guys were happy to take a fly

We could barely even spook a trout.

Today was a different story. I decided, since school is out, to hit an easy stretch of the hooch tailwater close to home.

First cast and I landed this brownie

All colored up for fall.

Fished a few hours and picked up mostly browns with the odd holdover bow, maybe two dozen on the day. But, this guy was the best. I was drifting a size 20 midge pattern I'd tied this morning, the dry (i actually caught one brown on the dry today) stopped and dipped under the water so, I quickly set the hook, but felt like I was snagged, but then the rod tip moved. The fight was on. I was using 6-7x tippet, so I had I play it right. I could tell it was a decent fish, then I saw the flash as he quickly came up and I got excited, then he shot back down to the depths. It was totally slack water and if not for the pea soup I'm sure I'd have seen the fish swimming and fighting. After a short fight I landed the biggest brown I've caught outta the hooch tailwater. He sorta looked p**$$ed that he'd been caught, but I was ok with that.
Measured out just under 18"
What a blast.

Just when I think wild fish small streaming is more productive, I have a near skunk day on a very productive small stream; then after several slow days on the hooch TW I end up having a pretty rad day.
These dang fish... Keeping me guessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-17, 05:13 AM   #2
HILLIS LANIER
Native

Great post! Nice fish!
Old 11-22-17, 06:15 AM   #3
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

Nice report - some days what we think actually works / works out, but most days we have no idea what the trout will do.....I love brown surprises

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-17, 07:32 AM   #4
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScott View Post
Nice report - some days what we think actually works / works out, but most days we have no idea what the trout will do.....I love brown surprises
You are getting so old I am sure you have a lot of brown surprises.

Nice one Steve gotta join you soon downstream.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-17, 07:56 AM   #5
erikclymore
Native

As I said yesterday that is one sweet fish!
I’m glad to see the river producing for you again.
erikclymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-17, 06:50 PM   #6
3-wt
Native, formerly known as "Streamside Sam"

This was one of the more surprising days I've had in a long while, as I had just caught 2 dozen in this stream last Friday in ~3 hours, in very similar conditions, at least similar temperature (mid 50's). We're both fairly competent on small streams, and we KNOW this stream is pretty well loaded with bows, so to only catch a few was really surprising. We didn't even spook fish seemingly as we worked upstream. Still a great day, the weather and scenery were awesome. Next time I'll bring a half-weight just in case the chub bite is on again. BTW that 2nd picture is rare indeed...Splatek in waders...it doesn't happen often. I think it threw off his mojo.

Last edited by 3-wt; 11-22-17 at 06:56 PM.
3-wt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-17, 07:05 PM   #7
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamside Sam View Post
This was one of the more surprising days I've had in a long while, as I had just caught 2 dozen in this stream last Friday in ~3 hours, in very similar conditions, at least similar temperature (mid 50's). We're both fairly competent on small streams, and we KNOW this stream is pretty well loaded with bows, so to only catch a few was really surprising. We didn't even spook fish seemingly as we worked upstream. Still a great day, the weather and scenery were awesome. Next time I'll bring a half-weight just in case the chub bite is on again. BTW that 2nd picture is rare indeed...Splatek in waders...it doesn't happen often. I think it threw off his mojo.
Dude, the waders wrecked the MOJO.

BigT - no, I have to join you wherever you get all your awesome fish.

Erik. Thanks
Thanks Rscott.

And #BrownSurprises! The newest best hashtag, EVER!
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote