NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fly Tying Bench > Fly Patterns
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-14, 09:31 PM   #1
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

Default RScott's Pattern #4 - Mohair Leech

Absolutely one of my newest favorite patterns, it has mostly replaced the woolly booger in my box as it is just as versatile but a lot easier to tie. Black and Olive are the most popular colors, but I have white and two colors of brown as you never know what the trout want. Bead color is of course absolutely a personal choice, for this topic I have picked my favorite which is a chartreuse bead on a black body. Typically I tie on streamer hooks as shown, but I tie smaller versions on gape / gap hooks (see Squirmy post) and use a smaller bead. Very effective on smaller streams.

Hook: Trout Legend "S" Streamer hook #8
Bead: Chartreuse Slotted tungsten 4.0 mm
Weight: Lead wire .25 or .30
Thread: Black Uni 6/0
Tail: Scrap cut off from previous tie
Abdomen Body: Mohair leech

Materials....

BLeech 1 by Robert Brown, on Flickr

Start by mounting the bead on the hook and place the hook in the vice, then wrap lead wire as desired around the shank, I add a few drops of ZAG on the shank before sliding the wraps tight to the bead....

BLeech 2 by Robert Brown, on Flickr

Use the thread to level out the body and cover the lead wire wrapping and create a good base. Here is one of my variant ideas, instead of going by the book and using marabou for the tail, I just use a piece of the last mohair yarn I cut off.

BLeech 3 by Robert Brown, on Flickr

Try to estimate the length of Mohair you will need and cut it from the spool or card, I start by tying it in next to the bead and tying it in down the shank of the hook. Probably not needed but it is a habit I have fallen into but it does keep it tied in very well.

BLeech 4 by Robert Brown, on Flickr

Now for the fun part and another variable technique - as I wrap the mohair towards me I groom / tease the hair toward the rear, every turn, all the time. You could just wrap the mohair yarn and pick it out later, but this method gives me a chance to size the plume when it is wet......

BLeech 5 by Robert Brown, on Flickr

At the bead, I make 4 tight wraps to make sure the mohair yarn is solid, then I put in at least two half hitches, followed by a good dab of ZAG.

BLeech 6 by Robert Brown, on Flickr

Now - it is tied! Time for a trim. I pull the fibers towards the rear and trim off the excess so that I have a good idea of what the pattern will look like. Make no mistake, you will probably trim the fly after it gets wet, certainly
after a fish or two...

BLeech 8 by Robert Brown, on Flickr

I hope this post gets you thinking that you can tie as well, you can and the flies you tie will catch fish. If you are interested in starting tying and saving hundreds of dollars on flies (this is a almost total lie) - come to the Fling and take Steve Hudson's class, it will get you hooked...

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Last edited by RScott; 11-23-17 at 10:54 AM.
RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-14, 10:06 PM   #2
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

[quote=RScott;798008 If you are interested in starting tying and saving hundreds of dollars on flies (this is a almost total lie) - come to the Fling and take Steve Hudson's class, it will get you hooked...[/QUOTE]

Almost?
Big T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-14, 11:51 PM   #3
Gatorbyte
Ex El Presidente Supremo, Happy Cowboy Sunshine Boy (currently in exile on Elba)

Send a message via AIM to Gatorbyte

Looks like you've figured out how to take pictures. Nice demo.

ad illudendum , et in sibilum

"Laughter is my drug of choice"
- B. Nelson, HSD, AA, BS, MS, LPC, LMHC, NCC, FFF CCI, ACI, PADI AD, OPP, OCD, ADHD, ODD, PIB, MIB, PBR, PB & J, General Manager of the World, Fluent in Sarcasm

TBoy to GB: "An education doesn't fix stupid, you're living proof of that "

"You're an Idiot" - RScott

I Beat Tommy King in a Spelling Bee.

"I canít be nobody but the Gatorbyte. Yes, I like talking about myself in the third person. Something tells me deep down inside you like it too. I'm YUGE!" - Bret "Gatorbyte" Nelson
Gatorbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-14, 08:19 AM   #4
2fly
Ex-BOD, Hall Of Fame Member, Ex-Angler

Chuck Morris, what are you doing man??? You gave Scott his own sticky thread for this series? Man, his melon barely fits in his car now. Seriously, these are great patterns, not hard to tie, and produce a lot of fish. These threads should give confidence to a lot of people that you don't have to be an artist to tie flies that catch fish (I'm living proof). Tying your own flies will not save you money, but it will give you flies that last, flies that you can determine how heavy you want them to be, and the satisfaction of creating something that catches fish. Thanks for the series Scott!
2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-14, 09:29 AM   #5
BESon
Native

Thanks for this one as well, Scott! It's good to see your method on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScott View Post
saving hundreds of dollars on flies (this is a almost total lie)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
Almost?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fly View Post
Tying your own flies will not save you money
NO!!! I need to believe. It must be cheaper. Must be.
Old 10-08-14, 10:49 AM   #6
RScott

Brian - you don't have to believe it, your wife / significant other has to believe it

Old 10-08-14, 01:04 PM   #7
FishWillie
Native

Thanks for another great tie RScott...Gee , you have your own sticky now....
FishWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-14, 07:39 PM   #8
A Hopps
Native

This is really a nifty tie. I need this in my life. I especially like the hot spot bead. Off to save hundreds of dollars now by buying more materials!

I second the endorsement for Steve Hudson's fly class. He is the person who got me obsessed as well. I wonder how many addicts he has made over the years?
A Hopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-14, 09:35 PM   #9
SlowStreamer
NGTO IT Support Team, Past CIO, Hall of Fame Member

OH Crap ! He has his own Sticky Now

I guess it is not what you know but who

I will not admit but you gave me one of these and it did not not hook a chunky bow at Island Ford on the 1st drift.

Great tutorial Scott.

Thanks.
Old 11-23-17, 11:07 AM   #10
RScott

Bump for pictures