NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Ask the Experts
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-17, 10:30 AM   #11
groundpounder
Hall of Fame Member, Former Director

Rarely do I ever fish a floater unless I am throwing a topwater fly. Which is rare now for both river and lake fishing. I use to be a huge RIO outbound short fan as the lines are a dream to cast. However, with their latest intouch series I feel their lines have gone to crap! The line starts breaking down and cracking and eventually separating the outer core in a very short time period. While RIO has a great warranty department and will replace the line within a year, it is still a hassle to go through. I have swapped over to the SA Titan Clear series for an intermediate line and have been pleased so far. It is also similar in casting as the outbound short. The majority of my fly fishing is with an intermediate line. The second line I use most often is a full fast sink line. I'm now throwing the SA Titan 3/5/7 full sink. I'm pretty much targeting striper fishing year round.

Last edited by groundpounder; 12-01-17 at 10:36 AM.
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 02:36 PM   #12
wtbfishin
Native

In the last report I made on a stellar day on the flats, I was fishing an I-line, I have fished the same flat twice since then both times with a floating line. My thinking was I could pick it up quicker and make another shot or two at the same fish.
I did see quite a few fish each time but could not get an eat after trying several patterns, two of which caught fish last Friday in very similar conditions.
I have to wonder if that floating line was my issue, while fish would not bolt they seemed more aware of my presence from the Friday trip.
I know I got a few in the front of their noses, with not even a look or follow hmm.
Wonder if Henry would give an opinion on Intermediate lines for Reds on clear water flats?
Old 12-01-17, 02:54 PM   #13
fishmonger
Past Director, Hall of Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrulewax View Post
Really? I'm not questioning your input Henry, believe me, you know a whole lot more about the striper game than I do. But I have been consistently out fished for the past couple weeks by people using floating lines, when I'm throwing an intermediate.

Perhaps the choice of intermediate line is at play here, but I think my intermediate gets the fly too low in the column too quickly. Maybe other intermediates would not behave this way. I'm throwing a cortland compact blitz clear tip.

Are you throwing the intermediate even as fish move shallow through winter?

I'm keen for any information you've got, haha.
That's debatable Sorry Henry, I couldn't resist.

I think there could be other reasons you got outfished, one big one just being the dumb luck of the fish coming up more often near the guys that out fished you. It could also be fly selection, leader material, stripping style, what was on your hands when you tied on your fly, and how you hold your jaw

For what its worth, I use a full intermediate for schooling and bank running fish, a full sinker in the dead of winter to try and pry one up from the depths, a floater for poppers/true topwater (rare), and an intermediate tip on the river. I don't like a floater for the schooling fish because it limits me to fishing way up high in the water column, whereas with an intermediate I can always fish up high by starting my strips soon after the cast, or can count it down and fish the stragglers below after the blow up has ended, which picks up a lot of fish. Also, the flies I fish on the lake right now sink very slowly, and a weighted fly on an intermediate (or really any) line can drop out of the zone pretty quickly.

FM

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder
fishmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-17, 09:08 PM   #14
aknezo
Native

I ended up returning all the versileaders and just bought a intermediate line as well. Cause who doesnít want both. But I bought the newer version of the intouch outbound short floating and then the coastal quickshooter XP since the guys at Rio said that would cast most similarly to the outbound short. Iíll see which one works best and go from there. I can see both coming in handy but now I just need to pick up a whole new setup. You guys are getting good at making me spend money.
aknezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-17, 01:32 PM   #15
GAjohn
Native

I have yet to own a floating line that doesn't eventually start sinking from the tip up. Now I just use cheap floating lines and coat with mucilin before every outing
GAjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 11:36 AM   #16
henryc
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrulewax View Post
Really? I'm not questioning your input Henry, believe me, you know a whole lot more about the striper game than I do. But I have been consistently out fished for the past couple weeks by people using floating lines, when I'm throwing an intermediate.

Perhaps the choice of intermediate line is at play here, but I think my intermediate gets the fly too low in the column too quickly. Maybe other intermediates would not behave this way. I'm throwing a cortland compact blitz clear tip.

Are you throwing the intermediate even as fish move shallow through winter?

I'm keen for any information you've got, haha.

Jackson,

You are getting out fished simply because your counterparts are better at feeding the fish. It's the sad reality of striper fishing. Your partner up at Unicoi I guarantee would be fishing an intermediate as well. There are lots of questions that need answering as there is not just one simple answer as to why you are not feeding fish as well as your counterparts. Are you fishing an intermediate with a fluoro leader? If so, why not fish it with mono if you think the fish are feeding higher in the water column. Are you tossing a fly that just doesn't catch many fish (like an Efly)? - back atcha FM
A weightless fly like a polar fiber minnow might do the trick instead of a Clouser or somethin' else. As for someone asking about line pick up on a shallow flat... I like the outbound short in an F/I combo. That has been my go to line. That is what is fun about sodium free stripers...they ain't easy. In conclusion, might I suggest sticking with a floating line for pellet fed trout

Henry

Last edited by henryc; 12-05-17 at 11:49 AM.
henryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 12:11 PM   #17
ferrulewax
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryc View Post
Jackson,

You are getting out fished simply because your counterparts are better at feeding the fish. It's the sad reality of striper fishing. Your partner up at Unicoi I guarantee would be fishing an intermediate as well. There are lots of questions that need answering as there is not just one simple answer as to why you are not feeding fish as well as your counterparts. Are you fishing an intermediate with a fluoro leader? If so, why not fish it with mono if you think the fish are feeding higher in the water column. Are you tossing a fly that just doesn't catch many fish (like an Efly)? - back atcha FM
A weightless fly like a polar fiber minnow might do the trick instead of a Clouser or somethin' else. As for someone asking about line pick up on a shallow flat... I like the outbound short in an F/I combo. That has been my go to line. That is what is fun about sodium free stripers...they ain't easy. In conclusion, might I suggest sticking with a floating line for pellet fed trout

Henry
Haha! Henry, I'm not so convinced that my co-fisherman is any better than me at feeding striper. It's my old man!

I'm throwing a gray and white polar fiber fly tied weightless on a size 6 Partridge attitude extra. (With a flurofiber collar ) -just like the one my partner stole from my box. I am also throwing it on an SA hard mono leader with flurocarbon tippet. I've broke down my system pretty well.

In an effort to save what little self respect I still have for my striper skills, I am going to blame it on my intermediate line sinking too quickly. I think I'll grab an SA clear tip, and see how it compares, then go from there.

Thanks for the help

My Instagram
Unicoi Outfitters
ferrulewax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 10:30 AM   #18
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default Sinking Floaters

All floating lines eventually start sinking at the tip due to breaks in the line. If you knot your leader to the fly line and you do not trim and coat the end of the fly line each time it will absorb water. Further, if you look at the end of your line, or better feel the last couple feet of your line, for tiny cracks and abrasions, it will absorb water over time. I use welded loop fly lines and those too will sink over time due to just the abrasions, but much more slowly. Finally, cut two feet off your fly line and try that!
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote