NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-17, 12:17 PM   #1
BUBBA CORNCHUCKER
Native

Default Guides

Anybody else have a problem with them making their living off of public resources?
I know it's legal but something's not right when you walk a couple miles in, only to have a guide bring a group of dudes from Atlanta in on your favorite water. Knowing full well that they would have never found the place without him. Then they tell 2 friends, and they tell 2 friends..... Next thing you know there will be a trout fishing tournament there!
BUBBA CORNCHUCKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 12:20 PM   #2
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Default Guides

Nope. I donít have a problem with it.

You can petition the legislature - and congress - to prevent all commercial operations on public-managed land.

I just donít see the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Trout8myfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 01:15 PM   #3
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

I agree with George. Public is PUBLIC land. Guides and clients are public.
It would be the same for tubing companies floating the Hooch. (not that I'm really pleased with that). If the State/Feds close public land, we all lose.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 01:21 PM   #4
AK Pipeline
Native

Default no problem here

They're taking members of the public out to enjoy and use a public resource. Although I've been annoyed a few times when a guide boat drops anchor in a hole I'm fishing, I don't think there is anything wrong with guides using public resources. In fact, it probably helps in the long run in terms of how a fishery is managed, etc.
Plus, most guides I've met are really good folks, and I admire what they do.
AK Pipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 01:50 PM   #5
wspanic
Native

Millions of people make a living off of public resources

Power companies
Farmers
Commercial fisherman
Oil companies
Minors

etc
wspanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 01:58 PM   #6
narcodog
Native

Nope they add to the enjoyment of others who may not have had the opportunity to have been introduced at an early age.

Since a lot of water is on USFS land they are required to have permits with cost $$'s so that adds to the bank account.

I would like to see the State have a guide permit system to keep jack legs from giving folks a a poor experience.
narcodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 02:21 PM   #7
trout4life
Native

Send a message via Yahoo to trout4life
Default Guides

Not a problem at all with them. Was on a certain NE GA river the day after Thanksgiving with my wife and two kids(8 and 10). I ran into the owner of the Chattooga river fly shop(Karl) about 1.5 miles in. We had hiked the FS road on the GA side. He looked to be guiding around 4 folks. I asked him if my 8 year old could step in and try the run. He was very gracious and even yelled some encouragement when he caught the rainbow trout. We got the one fish and headed out of their way. Thanks again Karl if you read this.

Last edited by trout4life; 12-07-17 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spelling
trout4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 02:44 PM   #8
bookkeeper
Stocker

I agree with the sentiments posted. I do have a problem with our public resources (stocked fish) swimming into so much private water. Eventually we may not have access to much public fishing at all. This is a much bigger threat to the sport being open and and affordable to the average person than sharing water with guides who work hard to help others learn and enjoy our sport.
The old country club golfers had the same attitude because they didn't want to share their fairways with kids and now their sport is just about dead.
bookkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 03:31 PM   #9
BUBBA CORNCHUCKER
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout4life View Post
Not a problem at all with them. Was on a certain NE GA river the day after Thanksgiving with my wife and two kids(8 and 10). I ran into the owner of the Chattooga river fly shop(Karl) about 1.5 miles in. We had hiked the FS road on the GA side. He looked to be guiding around 4 folks. I asked him if my 8 year old could step in and try the run. He was very gracious and even yelled some encouragement when he caught the rainbow trout. We got the one fish and headed out of their way. Thanks again Karl if you read this.

I happen to like the guide I'm talking about, very nice guy. What if the next time you show up at that hole those 4 guys and 4 of their friends are there and the hole above it and the hole below it and you know it's a direct result of the guided trip earlier? Not to mention the 50 other clients he's taken there.
Old 12-07-17, 03:35 PM   #10
BUBBA CORNCHUCKER
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookkeeper View Post
I agree with the sentiments posted. I do have a problem with our public resources (stocked fish) swimming into so much private water. Eventually we may not have access to much public fishing at all. This is a much bigger threat to the sport being open and and affordable to the average person than sharing water with guides who work hard to help others learn and enjoy our sport.
The old country club golfers had the same attitude because they didn't want to share their fairways with kids and now their sport is just about dead.

I don't know anything about us loosing public water but I'm pretty sure we don't have to worry about the sport of trout fishing dying. Not by a long shot.