NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Bamboo Fly Rods
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-17, 05:39 PM   #11
AK Pipeline
Native

Default yessir

There was a point after wrapping the thread where you had to sand the varnish around the guides. It was late in the afternoon, and I simply wasn't patient with the process. It was a delicate process because you had to sand the varnish to get it smooth, but at the same time, you had to be careful to avoid sanding down to the thread. I didn't take my time to get it nice and smooth, and you can see that in the finished product (at least I can).
One other thing, be prepared to be tempted to spend a lot of extra money and make relatively quick decisions regarding the rod and customization. If you want an engraving, come prepared with a design. At every step of the process there seemed to be some sort of upgrade option, as well as an important decision about how your rod would turn out, e.g., two piece versus four piece, eye insert, what style case, engraving, classic reel (hardy, etc.), hardware finish type (saltwater/freshwater), thread wrap color, etc.

Last edited by AK Pipeline; 12-07-17 at 10:34 AM.
AK Pipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 07:28 PM   #12
eyeflyfish
Native

Default AK thanks for the heads up

I have two of Oyster built rods already. The first had a custom engraving and the second had more appearance upgrades. Both have Hardy reels.

My inclination here is to keep it basic because I am the one making the rod. My daughter will not be able to sell a "daddy" made rod. Where there might be an opportunity to sell an Oyster made rod.
eyeflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 08:51 AM   #13
txbuba
Native

Take the time to pick out good, well fitting and supple gloves.
Have a ball, I did.
Bob
txbuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 10:34 AM   #14
AK Pipeline
Native

Default One other thing

One other thing I really enjoyed was going out during a break with another student and casting an 8 weight boo with Bill. He is the best I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeflyfish View Post
I have two of Oyster built rods already. The first had a custom engraving and the second had more appearance upgrades. Both have Hardy reels.

My inclination here is to keep it basic because I am the one making the rod. My daughter will not be able to sell a "daddy" made rod. Where there might be an opportunity to sell an Oyster made rod.
Old 12-07-17, 10:46 AM   #15
cucarachafly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

DO NOT BUILD A 3 WT.!!!!! Unless you have eagle eyes or better. You will be trying to keep edges from rounding while you are sanding something smaller than a toothpick. Clear wraps are very, very forgiving.

But you will have an amazing experience. I have built 4 and trying to decide when to do #5.
cucarachafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 01:18 PM   #16
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Ask Bill if you can stick the tip of a brand new, varnish just dried, 'boo rod in a ceiling fan....

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 01:51 PM   #17
eyeflyfish
Native

Cucaracha,
This is an interesting point. I currently have a 7'9" 5wt. and 7'9" 3wt. Both rods that I dearly love to use. The 5wt. has worked great in Idaho on the Henry's Fork, Snake and Teton rivers on fish up to 22". It has also served well on the Soque and Noontootla rivers here i GA. The 3wt is just awesome on the DH/stocked waters and the smaller blue lines I occasionally have the opportunity to pursue brookies.

What might be some suggestions for this rod in July? I do not do salt water fishing. I am considering a 7wt. because I hooked a fish in Idaho that we tangled with for 17 minutes and could not get it up. When the line broke it was frayed as if we got pulled under or against a deep rock.

FishinPreacher, I remember the story at the last boo festival up on the Toccoa about Bill "showing" the strength of the newly made rods in the ceiling fan!
eyeflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 02:25 PM   #18
cucarachafly

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeflyfish View Post
Cucaracha,
This is an interesting point. I currently have a 7'9" 5wt. and 7'9" 3wt. Both rods that I dearly love to use. The 5wt. has worked great in Idaho on the Henry's Fork, Snake and Teton rivers on fish up to 22". It has also served well on the Soque and Noontootla rivers here i GA. The 3wt is just awesome on the DH/stocked waters and the smaller blue lines I occasionally have the opportunity to pursue brookies.

What might be some suggestions for this rod in July? I do not do salt water fishing. I am considering a 7wt. because I hooked a fish in Idaho that we tangled with for 17 minutes and could not get it up. When the line broke it was frayed as if we got pulled under or against a deep rock.

FishinPreacher, I remember the story at the last boo festival up on the Toccoa about Bill "showing" the strength of the newly made rods in the ceiling fan!
The last one I did was an 8' 6wt. I built that specifically to catch some pellet pigs on some private water I fish. I have pulled in some fat 22" with no problem so I'm sure it would handle those Idaho trout just fine. And the tips were much easier to sand! That rod that went through the ceiling fan test was actually my rod and I still use that one today.
Old 12-07-17, 02:28 PM   #19
AK Pipeline
Native

If I recall, Bill told our group that you have to put aside the modern notions of the "weight" of your rod when it comes to bamboo. I believe he gave an example of a 6 weight bamboo being similar to a 4 weight Sage.
I built a 7-9 four wt. I love it, but I recognize that while it's wonderful on the firehole, it's not something I'm going to fish on the Madison at 3 dollar.

Last edited by AK Pipeline; 12-07-17 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-07-17, 02:52 PM   #20
cucarachafly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Pipeline View Post
If I recall, Bill told our group that you have to put aside the modern notions of the "weight" of your rod when it comes to bamboo. I believe he gave an example of a 6 weight bamboo being similar to a 4 weight Sage.
I built a 7-9 four wt. I love it, but I recognize that while it's wonderful on the firehole, it's not something I'm going to fish on the Madison at 3 dollar.
Interesting. I've never heard that and do not recall him mentioning that in any of my classes. But then again, I never was an honor student when it came to paying attention.