NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-17, 08:32 PM   #11
splatek16
Native

I don't care how y'all get those fish in the net, they're amazing.
Congrats! Y'all have done to research, the leg work, etc etc, I applaud you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-17, 08:40 PM   #12
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

Location: Chidspain Run, Delooth (Wells Fargo Call Center Interpretation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredmp View Post
I recognize the fish in your third picture. I caught it too - measurements taken and it's replica is being made at the taxidermist. He is my lifetime brown trout - no doubt about it.

Congratulations on a great year in 2017. You have some great photos of awesome specimens of brown trout.
Thank you!!! And he can be your lifetime brown again next year! He's swimming around munching unsuspecting creatures as we type!

It's hunting, not fishing.

Follow me on instagram @alexgreenfishing
browniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-17, 08:59 PM   #13
JerryG
Native

2017 was a very good year for me. Netting big fish for friends, seeing my dad get his first brown on the White river, and seeing my wife get her first brown on the Hooch.

I do agree there is an evolution happening in lures/streamers/combinations of the 2.

Fishmonger's EZ fly is a great example of a sort of jerk bait thrown with a fly rod, though using a hair or feathered tail for additional movement. There is also an opportunity to do somewhat of the opposite, build streamers meant to throw using spinning tackle for efficiency.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-17, 09:02 PM   #14
JerryG
Native

My lucky stars aligned this fall on the Hooch. I missed 2 good ones in November, but can't even be mad about it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by JerryG; 12-14-17 at 09:12 PM.
JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-17, 09:12 PM   #15
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

Aaaaaaaaaaabd Jerry completes the tripod of our little Ramada.

He had the best year by far! And he deserved it!

Old 12-14-17, 09:34 PM   #16
mbailey729
Native

Some awesome fish caught in 2017. Congrats guys. I would be more than happy to catch one of the beasts y’all pulled this year.

Let’s not get it twisted though, even with the more realistic streamers these days there are still vast differences in fly fishing and spin fishing. Neither one is necessarily better than the other and no reason to fight over which is the best. Do what you enjoy and hopefully you catch fish. If not, at least you’re still doing something you love
mbailey729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-17, 10:34 PM   #17
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbailey729 View Post
Some awesome fish caught in 2017. Congrats guys. I would be more than happy to catch one of the beasts y’all pulled this year.

Let’s not get it twisted though, even with the more realistic streamers these days there are still vast differences in fly fishing and spin fishing. Neither one is necessarily better than the other and no reason to fight over which is the best. Do what you enjoy and hopefully you catch fish. If not, at least you’re still doing something you love
I agree!

I think all three of us would agree that we would not be able to do what we do without having learned to catch them both ways.

Fly fisherman are too good in tough conditions, and spin fishing can hit some triggers in certain conditions a fly never could.

More arrows in the quiver is always better!

Old 12-14-17, 10:51 PM   #18
erikclymore
Native

It has been a blast to follow yalls success with these big boys.
I’m not going to lie, catching that big one recently has left me with quite the thirst for even bigger and better fish. I can see how searching solely for the hogs could get addicting FAST! I might have to pull out the 8 wt and find a means to float the river and really go after em.
erikclymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 12:43 AM   #19
Philhutch80
Native

Default Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Angel View Post
^^^^^^^^^
THIS!!!

That is so wonderful to read from someone on the message boards here. We're known as North Georgia Trout Online. We're not North Georgia Fly Fishing Online. Although the majority of our members are fly anglers, we're all about catching trout by whatever legal method one may choose to employ.

I started out with an ultralight spinning set-up when I first hit the 'Hooch in a canoe with my wife. It was wonderful! We caught all kinds of trout and had a wonderful time. Eventually I had to try this fly fishing thing that everyone seemed to be so excited about. I truly sucked at it for an overly long time, but eventually I got the hang of it to a small degree.

I now fish for trout exclusively with a fly rod just because of the more intimate connection with the fish, but I would be in the wrong to declare someone to be a lesser angler than me because of their choice of conventional rod and reel over a fly rod. The fun and enjoyment is had in catching the fish, however you choose to do it, as long as it's legal.

Thanks for mentioning this, Phil. Every once in awhile it's nice to be reminded that you don't have to be a fly angler to fully enjoy catching trout. And as another point, please keep in mind that not all of us fly anglers are snobby elitists. We're in north Georgia. Most of us are redneck, hill-billy, or just plain rubes. (Except for RScott, Buck Henry, GatorByte, and a couple other high-falutin' snobs who only sip the finest scotch - neat - while on the river. :ke
@Swampy, I’m not far from you with where I started trout fishing long ago. Ultralight setups and 2lb test were the way to go. Same things I used once I started back up in 2016. I was blessed with meeting Alex couple days after he caught the beast on video from last summer and it’s been like a light went off! I forgot how cathartic and fun it is! It’s exciting to learn different styles and techniques and blend them and make them your own. If you set goals and fish towards them they can happen!
Oh and btw, this hillbilly will gladly take a swill on that neat scotch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbailey729 View Post

In my time in Montana in spring and summer of this year and speaking with some of the innovators we look up to and they brought up these exact points of how even if you separate the two disciplines, they end up through natural evolution merging back together. What they were most impressed by was the ways that the youth of today are taking ideas and turning them on their heads and making styles of fishing all their own. It’s also refining techniques and bringing much needed youth and eyes. It’s fun catching these fish and it’s also a blast passing knowledge along and seeing other anglers have success as well. Love your comment,”Do what you enjoy and hopefully you catch fish. If not at least you are doing something you love”

#JBNavy
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 03:32 PM   #20
Dylar
Native

This thread is buck nasty. Some serious slabs, y'all.
Dylar is online now   Reply With Quote