NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Food & Cooking
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-17, 09:05 PM   #1
GoutUnlimited
NGTO Twitter Chuchunya

Default Salmon...cold smoked

Had a lot of guidance from the fellers at Atlanta Smoke House in Marietta. Don't have the equipment they have or the product but they gave me a general outline (been buying tons of stuff there since they opened)...and it came out alot better than ever expected. Used Bellies...this is way better than gravlox and melts in your mouth.

Old 06-25-17, 10:24 PM   #2
troutbum69
Native

Very nice. Any general tips and tricks? I know a guy who's been considering building a cold smoke house who's probably going to see this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-17, 07:57 AM   #3
GoutUnlimited
NGTO Twitter Chuchunya

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum69 View Post
Very nice. Any general tips and tricks? I know a guy who's been considering building a cold smoke house who's probably going to see this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Used a bullet smoker. Very Very Very low heat. Below 94f is key if you can get it lower the better.The way gramps used to do it was wood shavings in a Port-a-John like smokehouse with plenty of distance between the wood and the fish: fillets hung long ways around bars. I was able to manipulate my shiittay craftsman with wind and got lucky. Total time was around 10hrs and never got it above 80 which was a miracle. Tips and Tricks: use an oil drum and do it in the winter. Smouldering wood added at the point of near death otherwise it will cook. Smokehouse is a goal in life...also a curing room.
Old 06-26-17, 09:11 PM   #4
REDTOP
Hall Of Fame Member, Moderator

Oh Man Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-14-17, 05:09 PM   #5
richf7
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
Used a bullet smoker. Very Very Very low heat. Below 94f is key if you can get it lower the better.The way gramps used to do it was wood shavings in a Port-a-John like smokehouse with plenty of distance between the wood and the fish: fillets hung long ways around bars. I was able to manipulate my shiittay craftsman with wind and got lucky. Total time was around 10hrs and never got it above 80 which was a miracle. Tips and Tricks: use an oil drum and do it in the winter. Smouldering wood added at the point of near death otherwise it will cook. Smokehouse is a goal in life...also a curing room.
A Weber Bullet...Smokey Mtn. Cooker?

How did you keep the temp so low?
richf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-17, 05:16 PM   #6
AK Pipeline
Native

Default good stuff!

Looks pretty good. I grew up in Alaska and my dad smoked salmon all summer. He still sends me 5-10 pounds in ziplock bags every year. He smokes it in such a way that it comes out almost like Jerkey, which is the way I like it. I'm biased, but there is nothing better.
AK Pipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 03:39 PM   #7
GoutUnlimited
NGTO Twitter Chuchunya

We used to have a huge walk in smokehouse back home that was like a little log house. You hang the Salmon (not really near a Salmon source but we'd get it occasionally) up top where the smoke is stronger and smaller fish near the bottom. Used birch chips and light em on the floor and let it go for a good 2-3 day. Sometimes you let it hang longer and it turns into a Jerky, but we'd usually have jerky left over from sun drying in the summer.

My uncle tends to the family land now. A few summers ago, he left for a fishing trip and a family friend came to feed the dogs. Anyways when he got back, the smokehouse, the barn, sauna, pigpen, chicken coup, dogs (they where chained up) Where all burnt to a crisp (not the first fire). We got Ukrainian neighbors (gulaged people) and have been having land disputes with them for the past 50+ years so we know who did it.

The only thing they left was the fence and the main house basically. Lost nets, Skis, snowshoes, trapping gear, and some old heirlooms rifles. Everything been rebuild except the smoke house was downsized to a little portajohn smoker. Still good, but you don't have the decades of oil and smoke thats seep into the walls.

Its funny you revived this thread as I've made another batch of bellies for the holidays. The thinner piece are very close to Jerky consistency.

Enjoy reading your blog...keep up the good work
Old 12-15-17, 09:57 PM   #8
UncleJesse
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
Smokehouse is a goal in life...also a curing room.
I have a inopt commercial grade upright freezer that can be your starter kit for an amazing price - $0.00
Old 12-16-17, 06:57 AM   #9
GoutUnlimited
NGTO Twitter Chuchunya

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I have a inopt commercial grade upright freezer that can be your starter kit for an amazing price - $0.00
Tha would be perfect but moving soon and space will be limited in the new digs.