NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-17, 12:13 AM   #11
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

Thanks for posting those links and those who added to this, it is definitely interesting to read up and see.
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-17, 08:28 AM   #12
THE EG
CFO, HoF Member, Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhutch80 View Post
"This trout fishery began when a handful of anglers first stocked trout in the Chattahoochee River in 1962. By the cover of night they dumped 12,500 rainbow trout purchased from a farm in North Carolina. DNR later began stocking the river with both brown and rainbow trout."

Blew my mind reading that!!! We owe some thanks to those fishermen!!!
Pretty sure this was the Izaak Walton League from what I understand. They used to have a chapter in Atlanta but I don't see any presence in the area on their web site now.
Old 12-22-17, 10:09 AM   #13
The Ole Man
Past Director, Past CFO,

From the article huntfish noted--

The first trout stocked in the river, however, were not deposited by the state wildlife agency, then called the Game and Fish Commission, but by a group of avid fishermen with the Atlanta Chapter of the Izaak Walton League, who later formed the first Trout Unlimited chapter in the state. These anglers wanted to see trout in the river, and after not getting any cooperation from the state decided to take on the project themselves. In 1962 they pooled $2,500 and bought 12,500 rainbow trout fingerlings sizes 2 to 4 inches long from a trout farm in North Carolina. The owner there was so impressed by the project that he threw in another 2,500 brown trout fingerlings. The fish were released after dark in the shoals of the river approximately 1 mile south of Old Jones Bridge in Norcross. The trout survived and within a year had grown to 12-14 inches, a growth rate of nearly 1 inch per month.

Just to note-- $2500 was a far more sizable sum in 1962 than it is today. In 1962 you could buy a new car foe $2500.
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-17, 11:05 AM   #14
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

So, was this 1962 stocking of the river breaking any laws back then? I assume so since the stocking occurred during the dark of night.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-17, 01:31 PM   #15
The Ole Man
Past Director, Past CFO,

"Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission".
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-17, 03:09 PM   #16
jimbo
Native

Back in the 80's trout were caught at highway 78 bridge and below Charlie Brown Airport those where the good old days. the new days aarn't bad either big browns above Morgan Falls Stripers below Morgan Falls all the way to West Point Lake
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-17, 03:34 PM   #17
JerryG
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
the new days aarn't bad either
Amen to that
JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-17, 08:44 PM   #18
troutbum69
Native

I hooked a butter belly on the hooch today, trout don't eat like redfish. I need to step up my hookset game. But it was cool floating solo in the boat. Ya'll can find me on the hooch fo sho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-17, 09:41 AM   #19
yaker
Native

It was in the 80's that TU got the chance for a few years to stock fingerling browns via raft from Johnson Ferry all the way down to 285 bridge. In subsequent years the dry fly fishing in Cochran was exceptional. The stocking was fun but not without incident. As we were getting the rafts loaded from the stocking truck which was on the ramp, the truck's brakes let loose and it started rolling back onto those of us who were in the water. Fortunately, one quick thinking fellow dove into the cab and pumped the breaks which stopped the truck just short of pinning us to the bottom. Still, the overall adventure was well worth it. I will never forget catching healthy browns in Cochran shoals on Memorial Day weekend amongst all of those nasty rafters.
yaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-17, 10:03 AM   #20
jimbo
Native

Another note on the increased silt from Buford to Morgan falls. If I remember correctly up to year 2000 If I remember correctly there was a sand dredge above Maginiss Ferry and in the spring a dredge would be placed at a the ramp at Maginiss Ferry just above the bridge after all sand sucked up the drege would go up river. There were dredges above and below Rogers bridge and drag line operation below State route 120 above Abbotts Bridge. The last dredge was below 400 above the rowing club. There was always good catching below the dredges.
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote