NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-17, 01:43 PM   #11
Philhutch80
Native
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: The GreATL!!!
Posts: 640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
It's because they are so fed up on stoneflues.

They won't move far and are in the same but different locations. Same spots, but about 5 feet away from 2 or 3 weeks ago when they were off the channel side depth contours off the back side of structire.

They won't chase far.

Think so shallow and so deep in the wood that their backs must be dry. Bank side front of structure in fast fast water.

It's a grinders game right now.

It's certainly not because they aren't eating, the inverse.

Every fish I've caught the last week has literally been coughing up size 8 stones. Distended bellys (not spawning, farther up the bodyline).

Wood wood wood over a hard bottom with current.

As FM said, it's tough but can be done. Definitely far far far more technical fishing. With a smorgasbord of big protein in front of them you have to be ON IT!

Once you dial them some epic days can be had as they tend to group up.
They are literally picking the stoneflies off the logs as well. The fish that we have had come out this week were SUPER tight on structure! Yes the fish have looked skinny lately but these stoneflies are fattening them up fast! I wonder what the growth rate is right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
One good side effect of the cold weather: shad kill. We will probably see a shad kill this winter, the way temps are trending. If you hear about it, or start to see dead 1-2" shad in the drift, it is time. The closer to the dam the better. Try a white Bugger, or a #2 Shad Kill eFly (thus the origin of the name of that color scheme), and it is game on. Let it drift a lot with an occasional twitch. Lots of fun!

Or, based on what Alex said, try some big stone fly nymphs!

FM
43 degrees for the lake seems to be the magic number from reading up on various sources. When was the last recorded shad kill on the river you all can remember? Would like to go back and see what the weather conditions leading up to it were( i.e. how many days of cold and how intense was the cold).
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 01:44 PM   #12
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame
 
browniez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Chidspain Run, Delooth (Wells Fargo Call Center Interpretation)
Posts: 1,197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
One good side effect of the cold weather: shad kill. We will probably see a shad kill this winter, the way temps are trending. If you hear about it, or start to see dead 1-2" shad in the drift, it is time. The closer to the dam the better. Try a white Bugger, or a #2 Shad Kill eFly (thus the origin of the name of that color scheme), and it is game on. Let it drift a lot with an occasional twitch. Lots of fun!

Or, based on what Alex said, try some big stone fly nymphs!

FM
I've been thinking since early December we would see one this year.

The anticipation builds.
__________________
"The streamside paths are the tramplings of the uninspired herd, follow them and your rewards will be commensurate."
- Sheridan Anderson

It's hunting, not fishing.

Follow me on instagram @alexgreenfishing
browniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 01:59 PM   #13
ChaChung
Native
 
ChaChung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Johns Creek, GA
Posts: 320
Default

Thanks FM and Alex.

That's good to know. I was doing pretty well on the stone flies last week and it just stopped for me yesterday. I will try out some of the tactics you guys wrote about.
__________________
Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith
ChaChung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 02:17 PM   #14
fishmonger
Past Director, Hall of Flame
 
fishmonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Duluth, GA
Posts: 5,246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhutch80 View Post
43 degrees for the lake seems to be the magic number from reading up on various sources. When was the last recorded shad kill on the river you all can remember? Would like to go back and see what the weather conditions leading up to it were( i.e. how many days of cold and how intense was the cold).
I don't keep track of fishing info like a data recorder. I am more of a big picture thinker when it comes to fishing, paying attention to trends, cycles, patterns, etc. I think some data is important, but that there are many factors that affect trends and cycles that are not necessarily able to be captured in a few data points, and trying to make everything be data driven will lead you to bad conclusions. I think this is where gut feelings and intuition come into play in fishing, and helps explain why a few fisherman are better than most.

I do like to be very attentive to what is happening when I am on the water, but I don't go and write things down, like in logs, after, it just goes in the ole memory bank between my ears. Thanks god my memory never fails me

Having said all that, the last good shad kill I remember was 4 or 5 years ago, but that may be because it has been that long since I was heavy into the trout game. Stripers are my passion now.

FM
__________________
The tug is the drug!

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder
fishmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 05:37 PM   #15
gau16
Native
 
gau16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Westview, Atlanta, GA
Posts: 525
Default

"caught" a stone fly on a leaf bunch the other day... On my stone fly nymph...
gau16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 06:28 PM   #16
Philhutch80
Native
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: The GreATL!!!
Posts: 640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
I don't keep track of fishing info like a data recorder. I am more of a big picture thinker when it comes to fishing, paying attention to trends, cycles, patterns, etc. I think some data is important, but that there are many factors that affect trends and cycles that are not necessarily able to be captured in a few data points, and trying to make everything be data driven will lead you to bad conclusions. I think this is where gut feelings and intuition come into play in fishing, and helps explain why a few fisherman are better than most.

I do like to be very attentive to what is happening when I am on the water, but I don't go and write things down, like in logs, after, it just goes in the ole memory bank between my ears. Thanks god my memory never fails me

Having said all that, the last good shad kill I remember was 4 or 5 years ago, but that may be because it has been that long since I was heavy into the trout game. Stripers are my passion now.

FM
FM, I am right there with you in trying to take an overall big picture view of how everything ties in. Data helps but again it is only a small piece of the puzzle. Four to five years ago sounds about right from what others have mentioned as well. I do not recall you posting anything but striper related material for awhile. I could only imagine how many anglers would be in heaven if a shad kill went all the way down past morgan falls. Thanks for the info.
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 06:45 PM   #17
richf7
Native
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canton, GA
Posts: 87
Default

Tuesday was the first time Id been to JB and the water was beautiful. Caught a rainbow on my third cast with a floating worm then nothing for the next couple of hours. A fly fisherman nearby caught a brown and was thrilled to death! I love fishing cold weather.
richf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
Copyright 2010 - North Georgia Trout Online - All Rights Reserved