NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-17, 05:55 PM   #1
guillaume
Native

Default Marcel

Since moving to Texas, my posts on this forum have been very scarce.
But I thought I would share here this recent piscatorial story from the Old Mexico.

On our way from Dallas to go join my wife's family in South Texas for Christmas, we stopped for a relaxing two nights stay in the Texas Hill Country. We brought fly-rods and waders with us.

I've heard about the "Southernmost Trout Fishery in the United States" several years ago. The tailwater below Canyon lake is about halfway between home in Dallas and my in-laws place, and so we had made a couple of quick fishing stops in the past with limited success, besides a few small bass and sunfish here and there.

Yet, from these trips, I keep with me memories of a beast with blood orange gill plates and lateral line that tried to hit my black wooly twice without getting hooked. I sometimes still think about it at night.

We had never fished the Guadalupe in the winter, which is also the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department trout stocking season. I'd also heard rumors of some "larger than usual trout" being stocked in the tailrace this season. Rumors of lurking retired broodstock fish...

We came in this time determined in catching some Texan trout. Retirees or not, any trout would do it!

It was drizzling on that day, with a cold front approaching.

My wife was fishing a San Juan with a small nymph dropper under an indicator and I was alternating between trying my best to coach her and stripping or dead-drifting a wooly bugger with or without a dropper.
We quickly had a few hookups and early releases. It was not really my day, as I kept struggling with various tangles and lost flies on the river's bottom...

Then it happened. I hear this again: "baby, I got something!".
So I go to her and pretty quickly realize that this one is a good fish.

The next five minutes were spent praying that the 5X tippet and my knots were going to hold. Or maybe it was ten minutes, we both can't tell

Then comes the critical moment and the net is obviously too small...

But Santa decided to gave us an early gift. So here it is, a gnarly looking texan trout.
Oh yeah, and they say everything's bigger in Texas...

After the release, my wife decided to name him Marcel.
Marcel took the size 18 rainbow warrior dropper.

Meanwhile, this is what I catch:

And now I'm going to have nightmares of Marcel at night...

Happy Holidays to all NGTOers and anglers!

Last edited by guillaume; 12-27-17 at 06:32 PM.
guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 06:27 PM   #2
Swamp Angel
President

Good to hear from you after all this time, Guillaume. Looks like that was definitely worthy of post. Those are some nice looking fishies!

I like that your wife named her fish Marcel. My wife and I always name ours Henry (unless it looks Cajun, then we name him Henri).

I would have never expected trout that big that far south. Keep on catching them and send more photos!
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-17, 11:22 AM   #3
guillaume
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Angel View Post
Good to hear from you after all this time, Guillaume. Looks like that was definitely worthy of post. Those are some nice looking fishies!

I like that your wife named her fish Marcel. My wife and I always name ours Henry (unless it looks Cajun, then we name him Henri).

I would have never expected trout that big that far south. Keep on catching them and send more photos!

Thanks Swampy! Hope I will post more soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-17, 01:22 PM   #4
Philhutch80
Native

I had to work in Dallas earlier this year and was going to try to get to that tailwater but it was just too far away. Luckily Dallas gets stocked with trout for the holidays so I was able to wet a line there and then head to the White! Very cool and gnarly trout!
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-17, 08:56 PM   #5
guillaume
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhutch80 View Post
I had to work in Dallas earlier this year and was going to try to get to that tailwater but it was just too far away. Luckily Dallas gets stocked with trout for the holidays so I was able to wet a line there and then head to the White! Very cool and gnarly trout!

Thanks! Don’t hesitate to PM me if work brings you back to DFW. There’s also some pretty good trout fishing in OK, a “short” 3 hrs away from Dallas. Pretty scenic. We go there to trout fish and camp 5-6 times a years.

Old 12-28-17, 09:37 PM   #6
freestone1
Native

Default Marcel

Nice fish!! My parents live about 10 minutes from the Guad so we always bring gear when we go to visit. My wife also likes to name them... I didn’t really get it at first but now we have fun with it. Recently she told me, “This one is Leon Troutsky.” It was a hen... really?! 🙄😂

Last edited by freestone1; 12-30-17 at 07:51 AM.
freestone1 is offline   Reply With Quote