NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Bamboo Fly Rods
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-17, 10:29 PM   #21
Tomcoo2
Native

I believe he must have been referring to the slower action of the bamboo rods when compared to graphite rods. There is no doubt that bamboo rods are typically heavier (excepting hollow built rods) than modern graphite rods.
Tomcoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-17, 10:23 AM   #22
Big Browns
Native

I have always wanted to take this class and will some day make it a reality. I can't help but wonder if it's the same cost, possibly cheaper, to just purchase a rod from Bill? Factor in missing a weeks work, lodging and meals on top of the $1500+ for the class and you've got to be around 4-5k

My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

Big Browns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-17, 11:52 AM   #23
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Browns View Post
I have always wanted to take this class and will some day make it a reality. I can't help but wonder if it's the same cost, possibly cheaper, to just purchase a rod from Bill? Factor in missing a weeks work, lodging and meals on top of the $1500+ for the class and you've got to be around 4-5k
Kind of an apples and oranges thing Ron. It depends on what you are looking for. The class provides you the unique experience of building your own cane rod from scratch. Not many people on the planet can say they have done this! You leave with a beautiful fully functional rod that you built yourself.

But if your real desire is to own a rod built by a master rod maker, then have Bill build you one.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-17, 02:33 PM   #24
eyeflyfish
Native

Quote:
I understand the cost analysis associated with these rods. I have two that Bill made and they have changed my entire perspective and ability in fly fishing. I am taking the class more for what Buck expressed in that I will experience making a rod and using it myself. Ultimately it will be the rod my wife uses to fish in ponds as she cannot wade in streams and as my back up rod.

My understanding is it is also an epic week of experiences with other like minded sportsman.
eyeflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 02:42 PM   #25
Banker In Space
Native

I attended in Feb of last year. One word - AWESOME! It is a lot of information, but Bill and Riley are excellent teachers. It is also a lot of work and hours, but there is a nice refrigerator in the back with a tap on top so.......

Seriously, go in with an open mind, take lots of notes, and enjoy. They say the birth of your children, wedding, etc. are supposed to be the monumental days of your life. They are wrong (LOL) Holding a finished rod, you built yourself, in the basement at Harvest on Main on Saturday night is truly one of the best days you will experience.

The knowledge and friendships you leave with are forever. Enjoy!
Banker In Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-18, 12:38 PM   #26
Tomcoo2
Native

Default Oyster Bamboo - Make your own

So, I attended the class a few years ago. Rented a cabin on the lower Tocoa River. Went to class during the day and fished in the evenings. Lots of other places to fish nearby, as well. As was previously stated, the number of hours you put in depends somewhat on your capabilities and the capabilities of the rest of the class. People work at different paces and that is where the keg comes into play.

Be careful. After attending the class, I built a few rods at another guys shop. He was kind enough to let me build rods for myself if I also built one to donate to charity. I have since set up my own shop and am in the process of building my 14th and 15th rods. I kept some, gave one to my uncle who got me started fishing and fueled my passion for it. Also, sold a couple and donated 3 to different charities. I still have 5 at the house. This fish in my avitar was a 28 rainbow that I caught in Alaska on my Oyster class rod. Also made a 8.5 9 wgt that I used in Alaska to land a 25 lb king salmon.

You will not be disappointed. I certainly was not.
Tomcoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote