NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Off-topic Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-17, 09:57 PM   #11
troutbum69
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbub View Post
Are tilapia legal in Georgia? In reality, they are 10,000x better for aquaponics than any other fish species. Hardy, grow fast, like warm temps, and produce a ton of nitrogen. Unfortunately, I believe you need a research permit to grow them in Georgia. I could be wrong though

Sent from my Alcatel_5054O using Tapatalk

Don't know about the details of the situation, but somehow a bunch of tilapia are in Lake Seminole. People bowfish them and apparently they taste like trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-17, 11:20 PM   #12
UncleJesse
Native

I don't know all the preferences of Tilapia but I have discovered by chance that they are used to process a lot of waste from other species of fish and animals. Although I have eaten a lot of "free range" chicken and know they will also process waste. I have quit eating tilapia for that reason and the fact so much of our fish and seafood come from places I am not sure about the food handling procedures.
Old 12-31-17, 12:20 AM   #13
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I don't know all the preferences of Tilapia but I have discovered by chance that they are used to process a lot of waste from other species of fish and animals. Although I have eaten a lot of "free range" chicken and know they will also process waste. I have quit eating tilapia for that reason and the fact so much of our fish and seafood come from places I am not sure about the food handling procedures.
That's one of the reason they are so popular for aquaponics, it makes growing them more efficient. It takes about 1.25lbs of food to grow a pound of fish biomass. It takes like 8-10lbs of food to grow a pound of trout biomass

Sent from my Alcatel_5054O using Tapatalk

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 08:43 AM   #14
GoutUnlimited
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum69 View Post
I'll take a pound of sticky icky brook trout

Old 12-31-17, 03:58 PM   #15
iso1600
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum69 View Post
Don't know about the details of the situation, but somehow a bunch of tilapia are in Lake Seminole. People bowfish them and apparently they taste like trash.

So they taste like tilapia? those are garbage fish no matter where you get 'em lol.

I think the issue of cooling water for the trout the (potentially?) heating it for the desired plants, only to re-cool, will be so labor and energy-intensive it'd be absurd. You would spend so much just on the electricity i bet.
Old 12-31-17, 05:14 PM   #16
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Its possible to draw trout tolerant water from the ground. My parents well is over 350 ft deep and the water temp straight from the ground is cool. I've never checked it, but I would guess @ 70*. I know geothermal heating systems use wells to heat and cool, so is a geothermal well suitable for trout?
Then would you have to heat the water to make it compatible with aquaponics?

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 09:17 PM   #17
UncleJesse
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbub View Post
That's one of the reason they are so popular for aquaponics, it makes growing them more efficient. It takes about 1.25lbs of food to grow a pound of fish biomass. It takes like 8-10lbs of food to grow a pound of trout biomass
That puts them in the same range as channel catfish, which I had been told were the most efficient turning food into meat. I really like the way they taste.