NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-18, 10:08 AM   #1
eyeflyfish
Native

Default Can the Toccoa tailwater be float fished on your own?

I recently did a drift boat float on the Toccoa tailwater. We put in about 10 minutes before generation stopped at 11:00am. We got out of the water at Curtis Switch at 5:15pm with dark closing fast.

I am wondering if a person had their own kayak/canoe could this water be fished by yourself. There seemed to be so many fishy places that we went by or didn't spend a lot of time fishing. My concern is not knowing the time frames and distances I could easily be calling for help in the dark.

Any thoughts are appreciated as I was thinking of being in the kayak market before doing this trip. I think I would only attempt if there was another boat/fisherman with me.
eyeflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 02:49 PM   #2
Budwick
Native

I couldn't see why floating by yourself would be a big deal. Just familiarize yourself with the distances and float times between take outs and plan accordingly. I believe if you go on Unicoi Outfitters website, they have the float times already in a graphic on one of their pages.

Instagram @_big_wurm
Budwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 03:20 PM   #3
AK Pipeline
Native

Default yes

I've never floated the Toccoa with a Guide, but I've floated it numerous times with other folks and by myself, in various watercraft. The only downside to doing it yourself is if you run into a problem, it can be a little scary. I did it a few years ago in my one man toon and wasn't sure I was going to make it. I developed a leak and didn't have a repair kit. I had to stop every 10-15 minutes and pump up the raft. I spent most of the day with my arse in the water, even though I was sitting in a seat! Thankfully, troutman joe was guiding that day, so I kind of kept him within site distance behind me just in case it got to where I couldn't float at all.
I guess that's a long way of saying you can do it, but probably much better idea to have another person doing the float with (or at least near) you.
AK Pipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 09:50 PM   #4
fishndoc
Native

Itís a fairly easy float, but I would definitely wait until late spring to do it from a kayak - longer days and warmer air temps if you take a spill.

I find itís really difficult to fly fish while floating the river from a kayak. I end up focusing more on dealing with my line and float thru the good spots too quickly. So, I usually get out and wade fish, usually with my kayak floating downstream of me clipped to my belt with a short rope.
fishndoc is offline   Reply With Quote