NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Off-topic Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-18, 01:42 PM   #11
The Ole Man
Past Director, Past CFO,

Hey Buck, if you want to go really cheap you can probably pick up one of those vintage ear horns for a lot less than the electronics of today.

I have your same problem after 30 years around aircraft/jet engine overhaul, maintenance & repair shops. Men's voices I can hear. Female voices escape me. Females don't talk to me anyway so I'm good to go.

My wife's sister got the super duper, non-visible, built in Bluetooth, NASA approved, yada.yada's last year. Around $5000 I think it was.
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 01:47 PM   #12
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Default Hearing Aids

I bought a pair from Hi Health Solutions (insurance approved) for about $500. Didn’t need the Bluetooth.

https://www.hihealthinnovations.com/...SAAEgJKufD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Trout8myfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 02:52 PM   #13
jimbo
Native

Buck I have three veterans that are completely satisfied with the VA hearing aids with blue tooth capabilities. Fill out the paper work that takes some time. But the time is worth it. I told one of the vets to go ahead and apply after he stated how he didn't like the cost of store bought after he was on his second set.
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 04:03 PM   #14
terry creech
Director, Hall of Fame Member

Come again?

Ok, I too have some from guitars/music and firearms when younger (Ever run bursts through an MP5 without ear protection? What was I thinking?). Fortunately, no sub work for me so, all in all, mine is not serious. Would an implant work in your case or is that too invasive for your degree of loss?
"Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37
terry creech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 05:37 PM   #15
eyeflyfish
Native

Buck, I wish I had some information to share that would be valuable. My audiologist suggested I give up shooting. That was 8 years ago and the tinnitus was ok until about 18 months ago. Progressively getting worse. I wish you the best in your search for better hearing.
I wish it was as easy as regaling vision from cataracts. I find it interesting Medicare/ insurance pays for surgery to see and not hearing aids to hear.
eyeflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 01:54 PM   #16
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

Well, I have tinnitus and moderate in both ears, mostly genetic but some stupid behavior involving firearms as well. On my second pair, got Starkey Muses's that has like four different sound levels. I didn't go Bluetooth and almost wish I did for the convenience. They are small and fit extremely well so they are comfortable and I wear them all day, my last pair I would put in at work and take them out when I left.

Either way you go, do it. My quality of life has greatly improved since I got over being an old man with hearing aids. Female voices are still a challenge, but talking to grandkids is so much easier.

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 09:51 PM   #17
Banker In Space
Native

Buck. I have suffered with hearing loss since youth and have had many sets of hearing aids. I ordered some the other day from ziphearing.com and was very impressed with the service and price. They hooked me up with a local audiologist who will deliver them next week. I am fortunate to have federal bc/bs through my wife which pays a benefit of 2500 every three years.

Hearing aids are an investment and in my opinion worth it. An option may be to find a set of used ones and have them programmed to your hearing specs. Naturally if they are custom molded that won’t work but I haven’t worn the molded ones in over 10 years. The new “open fit” ones are awesome. Message me with any questions. Be more than happy to help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Banker In Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 12:14 PM   #18
FishWillie
Native

Buck, try the V.A. , It's part of your benefits and they have picked up their game...It might be fun ....Will
FishWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 12:37 PM   #19
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishWillie View Post
Buck, try the V.A. , It's part of your benefits and they have picked up their game...It might be fun ....Will
I just mailed off my final health benefit application paper work today Willie! I should hear back from them in a few weeks they said. If I qualify (which I assume I will), the next step will be to get an appointment with the Audiology dept over at the VA hospital on Clairmont Road.

I would think 8 years running submarine nuclear power plants makes a compelling case for my hearing problems. All that radiation I got probably did not help matters too. Hopefully the goobermint hooks me up with some fancy blue tooth enabled hearing aids in the near future!

PS: I did read that income level can impact my ability to get approved for health benefits. I might make too much annually to qualify for benefits. Guess I will know soon enough.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member

Last edited by Buck Henry; 01-12-18 at 12:49 PM.
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 02:17 PM   #20
eyeflyfish
Native

Surely you did not put down your current actual income!

I think they are asking what your income was when you served. At least that sounds like a reasonable CYA should they ask to verify.
eyeflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote