NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Off-topic Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-18, 02:32 PM   #21
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeflyfish View Post
Surely you did not put down your current actual income!

I think they are asking what your income was when you served. At least that sounds like a reasonable CYA should they ask to verify.
Nope can't fudge on this one. The form asks for previous year's gross income and they verify it by what you reported to the IRS. They use to require you to provide that data yearly, but once you are in the system, they do their annual income verification via the IRS.

PS: they also use to require Total Net Worth data, but dropped that several years ago.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 03:14 PM   #22
eyeflyfish
Native

You would think that income would have no relevance for those that put their life on the line. I learned first hand how little our government thinks of those they send into harms way when my dad died leaving a widow with 3 small children to raise.

Good luck Buck and look forward to whispering sweet nothings in your ear one day while fishing.
eyeflyfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 09:29 PM   #23
Middle Earth
Native

Default Sooner rather than later

Buck, my wife is a speech pathologists that works at a non-profit for hearing impaired children along with audiologists. (I have a son with cochlear implants.) One thing I have heard her say is that it's better to get aided sooner rather than later. The more your hearing deteriorates the harder it is to aid it. If the VA doesn't work out, you should get a 30 day trial period with your aids, so if you don't like them, you can take them back and try the cheaper alternatives.

Norman Maclean
Middle Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 10:55 AM   #24
Buck Henry

Well, a quick update on my hearing aid situation. As I feared, the VA said I made too much money for VA healthcare benefit. I did not even qualify for their lowest priority level. I guess if VA funds are limited, I would much prefer the money be spent to help a Vet with severe service related medical issues than my weeny hearing loss problem. I have the right to appeal but probably will not bother.

So being on my own, I did some research and found a company called Embrace Hearing that is completely online. They sell high end German made hearing aids, but keep their cost low by removing the multiple middle men in the hearing aid business. You have to send them your hearing test results and then they custom program your hearing aids and then send them to you.

Reviews are almost off the chart 5 star for their products and customer service and they give you 45 day no questions asked trial period. My out the door cost is thousands less than going with any of the major players (beltone, etc) and Embraces's hearing aids are supposed to be top of the line technology wise. I got bluetooth as well so no more clunky head phones on the bus ride home.

So, I should have my new ears by the end of the week. Only concern I have now is my tried and true "sorry honey, I did not hear you" excuse just went right out the window!

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Old 03-05-18, 04:04 PM   #25
eyeflyfish
Native

I'm glad you are getting some resolution. I look forward to "hearing" how they work for you. I hope they do a great job. My audiologist said even hearing aids wouldn't help me hear my wife.
eyeflyfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-18, 05:37 PM   #26
Bob M
Hall of Fame Member

There is another angle on the VA if you can get through the gyrations to prove a service connected disability. You may have some hearing tests in your Navy medical records.

Costco is another option for digital hearing aides. They ran about $2,500 when I looked at them.

Follow-up appointments to adjust the fit and programing can make a big difference in the long term outcome. I'd consider an internet option for an in-the-woods option but there are better options for everyday. I like the various shapes of earpieces available with Widex
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-18, 08:46 PM   #27
Buck Henry

Well, I am on day 2 with my new hearing aids and I have to say these things are pretty dam amazing! The ones I got are as high end as it gets and the clarity of the sounds I am hearing is almost too much! I am not use to hearing things like the ice maker water valve kick on and off. When it happened yesterday I literally said to my wife, what the heck was that! Also, simple sounds like a lock closing are so incredibly sharp it almost sounds fake to me.

I also have Bluetooth capability and can take phone calls with the caller's voice piped straight into my ears. You have to have a receiver remote for that feature so I sure hope I don't loose the sucker!

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Old 03-14-18, 09:57 PM   #28
Bob M
Hall of Fame Member

Good deal. I prefer to think of them as 'the world now comes with a volume control' I use 'mute' quite a bit.
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-18, 08:46 AM   #29
Uncle Fun
Native

Question

Hey Buck,

Glad to hear the ears are working out. Do you know if the bluetooth can be used for tv watching? If the tv is sending a bluetooth signal to speakers/headphones is it possible to connect the hearing aids?

The phone is huge. Right now my dad (has aids) uses his cell phone speaker and it is really difficult to carry on a conversation from the feedback from the aids/background noise... I wish I was involved in his purchase 16 months ago I would have insisted.

Thanks
UF
Uncle Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-18, 09:11 AM   #30
Buck Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Fun View Post
Hey Buck,

Glad to hear the ears are working out. Do you know if the bluetooth can be used for tv watching? If the tv is sending a bluetooth signal to speakers/headphones is it possible to connect the hearing aids?

The phone is huge. Right now my dad (has aids) uses his cell phone speaker and it is really difficult to carry on a conversation from the feedback from the aids/background noise... I wish I was involved in his purchase 16 months ago I would have insisted.

Thanks
UF
Yes, mine can be interfaced directly with at TV so that the sound from the TV is being pumped directly to the hearing aids. There was a separate device needed in addition to the bluetooth remote for the TV interface that I chose not to purchase, but it was not that much more if I had chosen to purchase.

PS: I should add that my hearing aid automatically senses if a phone is being physically held up to the ear and shifts modes so that no feedback or squealing occurs.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member

Last edited by Buck Henry; 03-16-18 at 10:27 AM.