NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Watercraft
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-18, 03:02 PM   #11
Dsaporsky
Native

Default Super light weight kayak

Hi guys,

I am in the market for the lightest, cheapest fishing kayak I can find for fishing small ponds. I need to be able to carry it on my shoulder (more or less) for short distances to launch in small, isolated bodies of water.

Speed, stability, tracking don't matter much. Only the ability to get on the water cheap and easy. I have a 12 foot fishing kayak but it weighs 86lbs before gear. Too heavy to haul up and down hills and down paths to the pond/river!

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!
Dsaporsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 10:40 PM   #12
kbrunson
Native

Craigslist is your friend.
kbrunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 12:59 PM   #13
Jakkbauer
Native

Oru Kayak

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jakkbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 01:48 PM   #14
ferrulewax
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsaporsky View Post
Hi guys,

I am in the market for the lightest, cheapest fishing kayak I can find for fishing small ponds. I need to be able to carry it on my shoulder (more or less) for short distances to launch in small, isolated bodies of water.

Speed, stability, tracking don't matter much. Only the ability to get on the water cheap and easy. I have a 12 foot fishing kayak but it weighs 86lbs before gear. Too heavy to haul up and down hills and down paths to the pond/river!

I have faced this same question, and have come to the conclusion that there isn't a great option out there, but the best I can figure is a small cheap walmart or bass pro 8' sit on top (or inside) and then figuring out how best to carry a small amount of gear in it. it isn't very comfortable, or great to fish out of, but I can easily carry it by myself and it fits in the back of my SUV with some elbow grease.

My Instagram
Unicoi Outfitters
ferrulewax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 02:50 PM   #15
Bfish
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsaporsky View Post
Hi guys,

Float tube with a kayak paddle. Fishcat 4 LCS or Fishcat 5 would be my choice. Around 16 lbs, able to carry like a backpack while fully inflated.
Bfish is offline   Reply With Quote