NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-18, 12:33 AM   #11
Prowler
Native, aka Tooga Prowler

I normally go big and ugly myself fishing leeches and girdle bugs. I carry them with and without beads so i can fish them in different depths. As far as nymphs, I've had success on small frenchies and a hot butt pheasant tail variation I tie. I've also done well with squirmies and small eggs but it's hard to beat a good ole girdle bug or black mohair leech so I always have one of them on but I am normally euro nymphing. I know a lot of guys do well dry dropping and fishing nothing but small stuff but I go with what works for me. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I will say that I go with all natural colors and no flash. I also normally fish black beads instead of gold, silver or copper. This is just my .02 and what works for me.

------Team Norvise------
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-18, 08:10 AM   #12
pacollier
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfgros01 View Post
Iím going this coming Saturday so Iím curious as well. When I went back in November, red and olive zebra midges were working. Wouldnít touch a black body midge. Seemed to be more receptive to black beads rather than the shiny silver ones. I was told bubble back midges were fooling them pretty well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Goodluck this Saturday. Weather looks like it is shaping up for a nice weekend.
pacollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-18, 08:11 AM   #13
pacollier
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I normally go big and ugly myself fishing leeches and girdle bugs. I carry them with and without beads so i can fish them in different depths. As far as nymphs, I've had success on small frenchies and a hot butt pheasant tail variation I tie. I've also done well with squirmies and small eggs but it's hard to beat a good ole girdle bug or black mohair leech so I always have one of them on but I am normally euro nymphing. I know a lot of guys do well dry dropping and fishing nothing but small stuff but I go with what works for me. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I will say that I go with all natural colors and no flash. I also normally fish black beads instead of gold, silver or copper. This is just my .02 and what works for me.
Thanks, yea I have heard both depending on how clear the water is that day. Thanks for the advice. Will have to give those a try as well.
pacollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-18, 08:40 AM   #14
trout4life
Native

Send a message via Yahoo to trout4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhutch80 View Post
That is really good to know! Thanks for the heads up Kevin! I keep reading up on section 4 but I had someone mention that the section downstream of that in the gorge has a bunch of wild bows and some big browns that have gotten washed down. You ever venture down that way as well?
Section 4 is the most downstream section. From what I understand Section 4 is Shackelford Road to right past where Alabama branch comes in(Cathy Ellis trail and waterfall). Section 3 is covered bridge to Shackelford. Section 2 is just past the beehives(near road) walking trail to creek to covered bridge. Section 1 is rope across stream about 1/2 mile from cabins to checkin.

http://explore.gastateparks.org/cont...ds-sitemap.pdf
trout4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 07:53 PM   #15
chuckwould
Stocker

We did really well up there early this month on section 1, and pretty much everything in the box was working. Most of our fish were caught on big gross attractor patterns, but my big rainbow at the end of the album took a size 16 rainbow warrior. My advice for Duke’s is basically, don’t buy too much into the hype about how educated those fish are— they’re just fish. Treat them like any other trout you fish for— make careful approaches, nice drifts, and most of all be persistent. I cast to the monster bow all afternoon on and off, and he finally took (probably just to get rid of me)

https://m.imgur.com/a/2oTwj

Last edited by chuckwould; 01-18-18 at 01:09 AM.
chuckwould is offline   Reply With Quote