NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Warm Water Reports--Freshwater
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-18, 09:32 PM   #21
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame
 
browniez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hamilton Mill
Posts: 1,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
What do you use to catch deep water Big Canoe trout, anyway?
You can catch them about as many ways as you please.

Streamers, nymphs, emerergers on a dry dropper right now, jerkbaits, crankbaits, spinners, trolling, deep diving crankbaits, hair jigs, soft plastics, trolling crankbaits, trolling spoons, vertical jigging spoons, literally any way you can think of. Shiny and moving.

The problem is more finding them in open water than what they are willing to eat.

I wouldn't be looking deep at the moment though. It's just tracking the depth and having an idea of the points and ambush spots.
__________________
I like em big fat and sloppy.
browniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 10:19 PM   #22
Aardvark
Native
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
You can catch them about as many ways as you please.

Streamers, nymphs, emerergers on a dry dropper right now, jerkbaits, crankbaits, spinners, trolling, deep diving crankbaits, hair jigs, soft plastics, trolling crankbaits, trolling spoons, vertical jigging spoons, literally any way you can think of. Shiny and moving.

The problem is more finding them in open water than what they are willing to eat.

I wouldn't be looking deep at the moment though. It's just tracking the depth and having an idea of the points and ambush spots.
It sounds like you could catch a few bass at the same time. I Googled Big Canoe, and it looks like a good place to spend some vacation time. My sort of New Year's resolution is to get off of my backside and start fishing these places I keep reading about. That is a long list that just got longer.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 09:54 AM   #23
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame
 
browniez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hamilton Mill
Posts: 1,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
It sounds like you could catch a few bass at the same time. I Googled Big Canoe, and it looks like a good place to spend some vacation time. My sort of New Year's resolution is to get off of my backside and start fishing these places I keep reading about. That is a long list that just got longer.
You definitely can. The bass there are among the most difficult to catch I have ever encountered. They're big, smart, and in clear water. Really challenging, enjoyable fishing. Very similar to the California reservoir game

Once in my younger years I was reeling in a trout, and a bass that had to be in the 12 to 14 pound range engulfed it.

We only have so many days on this earth. Fish everywhere you can!
__________________
I like em big fat and sloppy.
browniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 11:14 AM   #24
Jakkbauer
Native
 
Jakkbauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: East Cobb
Posts: 329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
We only have so many days on this earth. Fish everywhere you can!
On this note, Alex have you ever fished Seed?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jakkbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 12:48 PM   #25
benvan
Native
 
benvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: senoia,ga
Posts: 1,713
Default still water

When targeting still water trout, understand that unlike a bass, a trout constantly covers water and does not sit on structure like other lake fish. Their need for higher oxygen content keeps them moving, and thus they eat A LOT.

Rainbow Trout feed on a horizontal plane. They find a depth that suits them for a time period and stick to it, This is when the multitude of lake lines comes into play.

Brown Trout feed on a vertical or horizontal plane. They will go wherever the food goes. No comfort zone here for the most part when it comes to lake feeding.

I tell the DD guys to have a type 3, type, intermediate, and midge tip. This covers most scenarios, and a cassette reel is great at making line changes easy. An Aiflo sweep 5 is an awesome line for covering water and depths to get the fish figured out. This can be the difference in 3 fish in an hour or 25 fish in an hour. When you find that depth and retrieve, don't change it up. When that bite stops, you go back to searching and lock it down when you start having success.

Would anyone want Dead Drift to host a Stillwater fishing clinic at one of the several Free Stillwater options we have in Georgia?

As for Callaway I didn't see on their recent website anything on Trout for this year and I was told they were not stocking trout this year. Myself and Justin from Gink and Gasoline who guided there came down on day to find that everyone was no longer employed as far as Guides except possibly Tom but I can not confirm that. I do know that there are some serious crazy things happening to the gardens from a black chain link fence on sections of the beach for 1st class patrons, to an increase in bars and decrease in actual gardens, and subbed out contracted companies running recreation activities that cost extra after already paying a pretty high gate price. Mountain Creek Lake still fishes well.
__________________
"I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong."

www.thegeorgiafly.com

Benjamin VanDevender, ACI (Adaptive Fly Fishing Casting Instructor/TAG (Therapeutic Adaptive Guide)

benvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-18, 10:33 AM   #26
Aardvark
Native
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 433
Default

Those are some sad developments at Callaway. What's next? Condos and vacation homes on the grounds?
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-18, 01:49 PM   #27
benvan
Native
 
benvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: senoia,ga
Posts: 1,713
Default Already happening...

Lot of the Camp Callaway cabins have been given to Administrative staff to live in on top of ridiculous salaries for a struggling resort. The loop road around the beach lake is cutoff because of the Executive staffs housing being on that road now. On top of that no funding for fertilizing ANY of the lakes to keep algael blooms down, no more arborists for the gardens either. Lots of logging going on too...lots!
__________________
"I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong."

www.thegeorgiafly.com

Benjamin VanDevender, ACI (Adaptive Fly Fishing Casting Instructor/TAG (Therapeutic Adaptive Guide)

benvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-18, 12:39 AM   #28
Aardvark
Native
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvan View Post
Lot of the Camp Callaway cabins have been given to Administrative staff to live in on top of ridiculous salaries for a struggling resort. The loop road around the beach lake is cutoff because of the Executive staffs housing being on that road now. On top of that no funding for fertilizing ANY of the lakes to keep algael blooms down, no more arborists for the gardens either. Lots of logging going on too...lots!
I had thought about going to see the lights next year. Maybe I should let them struggle until the resort is in better hands instead.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-18, 09:12 PM   #29
AllTimeLow
Native
 
AllTimeLow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Exit 12
Posts: 57
Default

I met one of Michael Waddell's boys last year(Bone Collector deer hunting tv guy from Columbus) and they supposedly bought it. I guess it might become a trophy deer hunting outfit with fishing?
AllTimeLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-18, 09:20 PM   #30
troutbum69
Native
 
troutbum69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North of Atlanta
Posts: 1,743
Default

1000 dollar a net butterfly hunts. You go over the 5x5 net size and you will pay!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
-Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
Copyright 2010 - North Georgia Trout Online - All Rights Reserved