NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fly Tying Bench > Fly Tying
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-18, 04:14 PM   #1
UncleJesse
Native

Default To Rib or Counter Rib

Since moving from Memphis I tend to be anti-rib due to the lack of dry rub ribs, but that's a different topic of discussion.

When tying a fly that calls for a rib, which is usually decorative in nature it seems most tyers wrap their rib in the same direction as the material. I tend to do counter-ribs, which I think tends to protect the materials better or maybe it's because I am half left handed.

What say you?
Old 01-27-18, 04:23 PM   #2
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Since moving from Memphis I tend to be anti-rib due to the lack of dry rub ribs, but that's a different topic of discussion.

When tying a fly that calls for a rib, which is usually decorative in nature it seems most tyers wrap their rib in the same direction as the material. I tend to do counter-ribs, which I think tends to protect the materials better or maybe it's because I am half left handed.

What say you?
I counter rib always unless its over thread. This is for the simple fact that the material seems to find the grooves in whatever material thats underneath better and sits more aesthetically correct. But what do I know, I'm half right handed. Seriously....they make you convert if your a southpaw back in the motherland.
Our enemies are those in league with imperialism- the warlords, the bureaucrats, the comprador class and the reactionary section of the intelligentsia attached to them. The leading force in our revolution is the industrial proletariat. Our closest friends are the entire semi-proletariat and petty bourgeoisie. As for the vacillating middle bourgeoisie, the left wing may become our enemies, and their right wing may become our friend. Our enemies are all around us. We must always be on our guard.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-18, 04:29 PM   #3
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

I'm a dry rub rib man myself. I will eat mopped ribs, but prefer dry rub.

When I tied, I went counter wrap especially when wrapping with wire. If just window dressing, wrap with the flow.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-18, 08:11 PM   #4
UncleJesse
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
I'm half right handed. Seriously....they make you convert if your a southpaw back in the motherland.
My grandmother went through that in the early 1900's. If I am doing something one handed, i.e. casting, writing, I am right handed; if it requires two hands I am naturally left handed.
Old 01-27-18, 10:26 PM   #5
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
My grandmother went through that in the early 1900's. If I am doing something one handed, i.e. casting, writing, I am right handed; if it requires two hands I am naturally left handed.
Supposedly it stopped in the 90s but I know it went on until before 2000 in some areas. My grandpappy, who was also left handed, used to hit me in the head with a wooden spoon if I used my left hand at the table. Ironically, he got a stroke that debilitated his right side and had to go back to the left.
Our enemies are those in league with imperialism- the warlords, the bureaucrats, the comprador class and the reactionary section of the intelligentsia attached to them. The leading force in our revolution is the industrial proletariat. Our closest friends are the entire semi-proletariat and petty bourgeoisie. As for the vacillating middle bourgeoisie, the left wing may become our enemies, and their right wing may become our friend. Our enemies are all around us. We must always be on our guard.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-18, 12:50 PM   #6
BravesFan
Native

Kelly Galloup has a great video on this exact topic. I usually defer to him on fly tying tips:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl6aYm7fTqU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BravesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-18, 06:01 PM   #7
Swamp Angel
President

Okay, UncleJesse, I'll play along. . . How does one tie cole slaw into the mix?
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-18, 07:29 PM   #8
UncleJesse
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Angel View Post
Okay, UncleJesse, I'll play along. . . How does one tie cole slaw into the mix?
Cole Slaw goes on the top of the meat in your BBQ sandwich.
Old 01-30-18, 11:21 AM   #9
Bboyd
Native

I'm from Chicago and even I knew that.
Bboyd is offline   Reply With Quote