NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fly Tying Bench > Fly Tying
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-18, 09:45 AM   #11
FishWillie
Native

Welcome to fly tying......just get a big bead storage container now....maybe 2. One for tungsten beads and 1 for brass beads...then start splitting up the colors by size...etc etc etc....find a friend to split the cost with and divide them up....I prefer Olive Brown, copper, gold, black and picked up some sexy brown metallic at the show I can't wait to use
Will
FishWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 01:26 PM   #12
NetBoy
Native

I tried to stop using gold beads and move to silver. But I have two big bags of gold slotted faceted tungsten beads so I tied traditional nymphs with these beads.
So far these flies have out fished my junk flies. Maybe they like the facets or the hotspots I put on all my nymphs.

When these run out I'll try silver faceted beads next.
NetBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 03:50 PM   #13
retiredmp
Good Idea Fairy Hunter

I like to use colors that others don't. I also carry a black sharpie pen with me and whatever color can be turned into black pretty easily.

"Not every Soldier is a Joe"

You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!
retiredmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 09:47 PM   #14
UncleJesse
Native

Think about what you are trying to do with the bead, usually the first is weight, what is the second consideration, complete the look for the head of a nymph? Attraction? The objective to tying a fly is to make the trout think it is something to eat. I like silver because it imitates a bubble look well. Bubbles are natural in water. Some colors are attractors, if the trout doesn't see it they are probably not going to eat it. A leech pattern with a big bead or spot on the leading edge imitates a leech eating a trout egg.
Old 02-06-18, 10:30 PM   #15
erikclymore
Native

Yeah, I get the whole attractor aspect of it. I would say I incorporate some sort of hot spot/ tag/ butt or shiny tinsel in the majority of my flies, and I definitely see the importance of trying to imitate an egg. I was just curious to see if anyone felt strongly one way or the other. It seems like itís pretty much split. I think Iíll stick with the basic, more versatile colors for now since there are still a good number of materials Iíve yet to purchase. For example, at the fly fishing show Rscott kept going on and on about the importance of ultra violet fourth dimensional dubbing or something crazy like that. Saying that fish see through time and space. I think he was pulling my leg, but I figured Iíd search the web just to be safe.
Plus, now Iím getting into streamer tying. There goes another paycheck in fur and feathers...
erikclymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 08:43 AM   #16
Prowler
Native, aka Tooga Prowler

I used to think a successful day was all about having the "hot fly" for the day but over the years I have changed my way of thinking and I honestly think that the weight of the fly and fly presentation is more important than the fly itself. This dawned on my one day at the dam when I was fishing a golden rubber legged stone fly pattern that I had been killing them on over the previous weeks. I was fishing it with a bead with no luck. All I did was switch to the same exact pattern with no bead that was a little lighter in weight and I couldn't keep it in the water. Don't get me wrong I do have my favorite patterns or my "confidence patterns" that I like to use and that I seem to have success with day in and day out but I feel that weight is the most important. In George Daniel's book "Dynamic Nymphing" Joe Humphreys talks about fishing with George Harvey one day and George Harvey was killing it. Joe couldn't catch a fish and couldn't figure out what was going on. Finally George Harvey gave him one of the exact flies he was using and Joe thought "Now I am gonna start wearing them out like George has been doing". He still wasn't catching anything. Finally he realized that it was the tuck cast that George was doing that was getting his flies down deeper that was making all the difference. He started doing that and started catching fish after fish just like George. I would love to have every color tungsten bead in every size available but I would be divorced, homeless, and living in a van down by the river. That's why I tie most of my nymphs/midges on black, copper and silver for most of them. I guess it all boils down to what your budget can support. Now if I know a fly is successful with say a purple tungsten bead, then I will likely get a package of them. I just don't see ordering a bunch of purple tungsten to experiment with. I would rather spend that money on copper, silver or black but that is just me.

------Team Norvise------
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 08:56 AM   #17
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetBoy View Post
I tried to stop using gold beads and move to silver. But I have two big bags of gold slotted faceted tungsten beads so I tied traditional nymphs with these beads.
So far these flies have out fished my junk flies. Maybe they like the facets or the hotspots I put on all my nymphs.

When these run out I'll try silver faceted beads next.
Last summer, the silver faceted (which I ordered by mistake, maybe my GF ordered them, I forget) were doing pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I used to think a successful day was all about having the "hot fly" for the day but over the years I have changed my way of thinking and I honestly think that the weight of the fly and fly presentation is more important than the fly itself. This dawned on my one day at the dam when I was fishing a golden rubber legged stone fly pattern that I had been killing them on over the previous weeks. I was fishing it with a bead with no luck. All I did was switch to the same exact pattern with no bead that was a little lighter in weight and I couldn't keep it in the water. Don't get me wrong I do have my favorite patterns or my "confidence patterns" that I like to use and that I seem to have success with day in and day out but I feel that weight is the most important. In George Daniel's book "Dynamic Nymphing" Joe Humphreys talks about fishing with George Harvey one day and George Harvey was killing it. Joe couldn't catch a fish and couldn't figure out what was going on. Finally George Harvey gave him one of the exact flies he was using and Joe thought "Now I am gonna start wearing them out like George has been doing". He still wasn't catching anything. Finally he realized that it was the tuck cast that George was doing that was getting his flies down deeper that was making all the difference. He started doing that and started catching fish after fish just like George. I would love to have every color tungsten bead in every size available but I would be divorced, homeless, and living in a van down by the river. That's why I tie most of my nymphs/midges on black, copper and silver for most of them. I guess it all boils down to what your budget can support. Now if I know a fly is successful with say a purple tungsten bead, then I will likely get a package of them. I just don't see ordering a bunch of purple tungsten to experiment with. I would rather spend that money on copper, silver or black but that is just me.
@prowler: I often think the same thing and feel strongly about that. Sometimes I think THE right fly is critical (like at the Dam, whatever Big T has on his tippet), but generally, I agree that getting an edible in the water column where the fish are feeding is critical. It;s something I've been struggling with when it appears the fish are feeding on emergers, for which I try a swing with moderate success. I've even experimented with overweighting flies, risking hook gape to experiment here. And, a few weeks ago, when the fish were eating anything you tossed at them I experimented with the same fly pattern with different colored beads: copper, gold, silvers, black, black nickel, hot orange, and rainbow. The only one that the fish refused was the rainbow bead. But, that was my last fly. I caught no less than 3 little browns on each; they were all the same weight, they were all the same hook size, etc. The tuck cast is a tough one, for me; but I am getting better at it and it's a game changer.
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 11:20 AM   #18
Dave375
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Great post! For whatever reason it's easy for me to change colors and patterns, controlling depth through different feeding zones is something I still need to be reminded of continually.
Dave375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 09:50 PM   #19
FlickNdip
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredmp View Post
I like to use colors that others don't. I also carry a black sharpie pen with me and whatever color can be turned into black pretty easily.
This is a good trick. I carry different color sharpies besides black to touch up beads as needed. Or if I'm out I color a silver bead.

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!
FlickNdip is offline   Reply With Quote