NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Ask the Experts
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-18, 03:18 PM   #21
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

So as promised I went to smiths yesterday and the water was the highest I've ever seen it. It was a beautiful sight and the fact that the DNR/management of Unicoi added more stream structure and access points made it a perfect day! Richard and I got there early in the morning and I left with 2 in hand and 6 LDR's. Richard stayed longer as I had to head off to my job tutoring kids (anyone in the Gwinnett county area who is looking for a tutor for their children send me a PM! I'll give you the NGTO discount haha) and ended above the 15 fish range as per usual �� . It was Richard's first time at Smith's and it was nice to show him some of my favorite holes there, although we didn't get the chance to fish all of them. Lower numbers than I expected on my part but I just had to get used to the rod itself. The 2 I caught were small rainbows but the rod made the fight so much more enjoyable than horsing them in with a graphite rod. I stayed with Euro nymphing the whole time due to the rapid flow and had a heavily weighted orange glo bug and a little brassie variant up top. I'll have to see if the delicate presentations of dry flies on a fiberglass rod hold true on my next visit with a dry dropper. The length was perfect and the amount of tippet protection and sensitivity of the rod made it a pure joy to cast and fight fish on. One slight detriment (whether it's the rod or myself) I noticed at smiths was that I had to get used to the extra amount of force it takes to set the hook. The tip is so sensitive and light that it can occasionally bounce fish and requires more force to set the hook properly. When I was trying to find that sweet spot I ended up overcompensating and losing plenty of flies to the abundant branches... but then again the amount of thingamabobbers and leaders decorating those same branches alongside my nymphs made me feel a bit better. It's all a part of fishing small streams right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sighter; 02-09-18 at 03:26 PM.
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 12:33 PM   #22
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Wound up getting one of these for a decent price. There was a '61 model that was really nice but was missing the cap on the bottom so got this Robert Kennedy edition instead.

And sitting by desolate streams;
World losers and world forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 02:07 PM   #23
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

How heavy is that thing as an 8wt gout? I handled the eagle claw sweetheart and even as a 5 weight it was a weighed a ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 03:24 PM   #24
Duke Of Hooch
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
Wound up getting one of these for a decent price. There was a '61 model that was really nice but was missing the cap on the bottom so got this Robert Kennedy edition instead.

Very nice! I have the 3 piece version of that rod, the FF85-3 as it were, and it's a gem, really smooth action with lots of power in the butt. There was quite a bit of variation on the Fenwicks made in the 60's - mine is marked as a 6wt, but I like it equally well with a DT6 and sink tip 7.

If possible, try yours with a few lines in the 6-8wt range and see which suits you best. I prefer DT lines on the old Fenwicks. I'm a big fan of the Cortland Peach lines.
Duke Of Hooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 04:05 PM   #25
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Of Hooch View Post
Very nice! I have the 3 piece version of that rod, the FF85-3 as it were, and it's a gem, really smooth action with lots of power in the butt. There was quite a bit of variation on the Fenwicks made in the 60's - mine is marked as a 6wt, but I like it equally well with a DT6 and sink tip 7.

If possible, try yours with a few lines in the 6-8wt range and see which suits you best. I prefer DT lines on the old Fenwicks. I'm a big fan of the Cortland Peach lines.
Thanks...thats actually good to know.
And sitting by desolate streams;
World losers and world forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 01:42 AM   #26
Jakkbauer
Native

Nice glass fellas. I haven't touched my Clearwater classic and have only been using my cabelas glass rods if I'm fly fishing. They are all one piece which is awesome. Pretty sure I am going to sell my classic and get another glass rod that breaks down. It's so fun to cast and play fish.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jakkbauer is offline   Reply With Quote