NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-18, 09:29 AM   #1
splatek16

Default Hiking, tracking, fishing

Was able to get out and do a little hiking and fishing with the little man.
When we arrived at the river I saw my buddy West gearing up. He'd not been to the section we were going to hike to, so he joined us. Spencer liked that. We also met Sam, a new ngto member on our way out.

When we finally arrived at a good spot to get into the water, we stopped, had a stream side sandwich (pb &?), Then got to work. West had already jumped in and landed a few good ones; later he told me he ended up with about ten or so.

Spencer and I tried spinning and tenkara-ing, but had no luck. But that didn't stop us from having a good time, getting muddy, and wet wading in a cold river on a cold day. On the way out we saw these

he pondered what animal they were from and after cycling through zebra, giraffe, antelope... We settled on a native species, the White tail deer. And we began tracking. Trying to decide what direction it was headed, being as stealthy as a seven year old can be. He swore he saw the deer and heard it and maybe it was my old eyes, but I thought it was a squirrel. He should be on ngto, he's already telling lies...

On the way out of the woods, back to the trail, we saw these

Again cycling through possibilities that included Wolf, coyote, cougar (Quadrapedal feline, not elderly attractive female human), we settled on raccoon. He asked "if we catch it, can I keep it as a pet?" Ah, tv...

Whatta a day away from screens.

I ended up back on the river another day and was able to wrangle a few of these into the net

Not big, but abundant. Think I ended up with about twenty before running into big t and realizing he either caught them all or spooked them all, haha. Seriously, the bite was hot when I arrived, then slowed in the afternoon. The fish were rising every where, even in areas that were super shallow. They were keyed in, and I couldn't dial in what they were eating. It's all good tho.

Then to wrap up a pretty rad week, after disassembling a few rc cars, rebuilding them bigger and more BA, and launching a model rocket

yesterday afternoon Spence and I got to work on our homemade bamboo (cane) rod. It had finally dried, although not straight. He assured me that "ok" dad. It's super flexy. And, it casts a twelve foot furled leader perfectly. We are super anxious to get some fish on it once the hood pond gets going again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 09:46 AM   #2
I_got_skunked
Native

Good father son time!

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.
I_got_skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 03:13 PM   #3
Asiaticus
Stocker

It was great meeting you! I only stayed for two hours or so and caught 3, it was pretty slow for me

this was one of the little browns i caught

i also had a few of these guys on my hook. they look like green caddis nymphs, correct me if i'm wrong

Asiaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 03:19 PM   #4
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

Great post Steve, having fun with fishing while getting your kid involved as well! That bamboo rod looks awesome and Im sure it'll handle those pond fish without a hiccup. Also, Asiaticus, thanks for including the photos of that caddis larva, I don't have any in the box right now but it looks like I'll be tying up a few
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 12:53 AM   #5
Jakkbauer
Native

Steve man nice report! Was good to meet you this week and fish a bit. Great to meet the creator of these sweet reports. Look forward to more fishing with ya.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jakkbauer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 09:54 PM   #6
daviddrummond79
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaticus View Post
It was great meeting you! I only stayed for two hours or so and caught 3, it was pretty slow for me

this was one of the little browns i caught

i also had a few of these guys on my hook. they look like green caddis nymphs, correct me if i'm wrong

Looks to be a “little sister sedge” which is a caddisfly. Very cool, that piece of water probably holds some healthy fish. I caught tons of those in Colorado.
Old 02-12-18, 08:44 AM   #7
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddrummond79 View Post
Looks to be a “little sister sedge” which is a caddisfly. Very cool, that piece of water probably holds some healthy fish. I caught tons of those in Colorado.
I love the irony of the river. I make a post about Black Caddis disappearing from the river and then these pics pop up looking very similar to the larval stage of a black caddis! Obviously we need more scientific confirmation though but thanks for your two cents sir!
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote