NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-18, 11:35 PM   #11
WPrich
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikclymore View Post
Do like everyone else that canít cast and start euro nymphing!
YUP!!! That's what I did probably will come back to bite me one day lol but until that day comes gonna keep enjoying euro-nymphing.
WPrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 07:50 AM   #12
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPrich View Post
YUP!!! That's what I did probably will come back to bite me one day lol but until that day comes gonna keep enjoying euro-nymphing.
@WPrich haha, we all know the only thing that comes back to bite you is the trouts! You can't keep them off the HOOK! LOL

@Lumis - I actually started with tossing real fly line and I think there is some value in learning that casting, at least a little. I think it's helped as I've moved to casting the euro dry-drop rig.
My advice would be to start with a shorter leader, no more than 9 feet, but 5-7 should be good. Do not start with trout; get to a neighborhood pond with plenty of bluegill and plenty of backcasting room. Only use one fly; it can be a popper, dry, or light nymph. In spring, the bluegill (at least round my parts) will crush pretty much anything that lands in the water (in fall the Shellcracker bite is just plain stupid and they are a blast to play). Start with short casts and only extend the distance by a few feet when you feel confident you've done well. I did this and I can end up casting my 2 weight nearly 60 feet to rising bluegill on the pond. It will also help you with a little stripping, mending if the wind is picking up, and you will get the feeling of the fish on the line. Just my 2 cents, but this helped me a lot and has also helped my 7 year old. He's wrangled bass and bluegill on a fly rod (and a few of them pesky trouts).

Another piece of advice, maybe get a cane pole (ie tenakra/telescoping) rod. That thing has really helped my boy appreciate line off the water, drifts, and feeling the eats/takes. Good luck and keep everyone posted!
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 10:54 AM   #13
NetBoy
Native

TU has a bbq next Sunday at Paces Mill and they'll have casting lessons.
NetBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 11:22 AM   #14
Lumis
Native

@splatek16 I have a bass pond behind my house, but I don't really fish for them. Could be good practice. I'm not sure where to look for bluegill; will have to ask around. Can't quite afford to buy another rod atm.

@NetBoy I'll look it up. Thanks.
Lumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 11:30 AM   #15
Dsaporsky
Native

Yep, sounds all too familiar. I've only been fly fishing for 2 years, but I was taught euro nymphing, so that's what I've been doing almost exclusively. Going for the longer cast with indicator and multiple flies still throws me off...

Get lessons! Despite the fast that the saying is "practice makes perfect," I disagree. I say "perfect practice makes perfect." Lessons will help with that.
Dsaporsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 03:24 PM   #16
mbailey729
Native

As others have said, practice practice and more practice. I would also highly recommend ordering this book and reading it cover to cover. Itís what I did and taught myself to fly fish

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/14930...2XL&ref=plSrch
mbailey729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 03:51 PM   #17
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

Some tips I've got when starting out, learned them all the hard way haha.

1. Get comfortable with throwing one fly first. I wouldn't attach two flies as it significantly increases your chances of tangling up. The pro to this other than less tangles is that you can actually achieve a better drift as sometimes the two flies get caught in different currents and cause an unnatural drift for both.

2. Don't attach split shot unless needed. Try and have all the weight incorporated in the fly itself, I am guessing you haven't gotten into fly tying yet (If you stick with fly fishing you probably will! Just don't get convinced that you'll end up saving money haha), so try and buy some tungsten beaded flies at the fly shops. The split show will create a hinge in your cast and if using a indicator, create way more tangles. If you're not getting deep enough, take some time and practice the Tuck cast along with your regular cast.

3. If you notice your flies not landing the correct distance from your fly line or landing awkwardly (especially with an indicator) chances are you have a tangle. Reel in your line slowly and try and fix the tangle before your next cast as it will be infinitely easier to untangle then rather than casting it and creating more tangles/tightening the tangled knots. Basically, if you notice a tangle, don't be tempted to cast out there again and take the time to fix it then and there as it will be much easier.

4. Practice your knots to get more productive time out on the water. Adding new line, tying on flies, or replacing leaders are all things that can sap out more time than you think. If you can tie the few knots that you need quickly and effectively, you'll have more fishing time out there. I know you were a spin fisherman so I am sure you have working knowledge of most of these knots and can tie them fairly quickly, but that thin tippet can make it a bit tougher... Some knots for fly fishing I'd suggest to know are the clinch/improved clinch (nymphs or dries to tippet) , blood knot (leader to leader) , non slip loop (streamers) , perfection loop (leader to fly line), and triple surgeons ( tippet to tippet, cut one tag and keep the other to add a second fly).

5. Cast within your comfort zone first, no need to make hero casts unless you can't physically wade within range. It's better to take some time to walk up and make an accurate cast to a good run where you can achieve a better drift than taking your chances with a long cast that may tangle and have too much line out to get a good drift.

Those are some of the main tips I wish I knew when I started fly fishing... I hope they helped! Best of luck and looking forward to hearing about your future success.

Last edited by Sighter; 02-09-18 at 03:59 PM.
Sighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 06:21 PM   #18
LureheadEd
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumis View Post
I was fishing from the shore so i was trying to get "ultralight with a spinner" distance. Probably not a good idea.

The tangles appeared from attempting to swing the line for too long (like a lasso), and letting it catch itself (and me not stopping to fix it before it got worse). I had line wrapped around my shoulders a few times.

I sure do look forward to this lesson

Sounds like my everyday fly fling...I've been trying for 50+years...
LureheadEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 11:58 PM   #19
Lumis
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sighter View Post
Those are some of the main tips I wish I knew when I started fly fishing... I hope they helped! Best of luck and looking forward to hearing about your future success.
Appreciate it! I'll keep them all in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LureheadEd View Post
Sounds like my everyday fly fling...I've been trying for 50+years...
I'll have to stay away from you. Can't be very good luck
Lumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 07:32 AM   #20
ChaChung
Native

Hey... I think it took me at least five outings before I actually caught fish with my fly rod. There is an art to it and I think that's why it's so rewarding when you get it honed in also.

The mistake i made was that I tried to learn everything inn my own. Stick with someone who had been doing it for a little while and you will learn it faster.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith
ChaChung is offline   Reply With Quote