NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-18, 09:42 AM   #1
Philhutch80
Native

Default Smallmouth Stocking Program in Lake Blue Ridge

Smallmouth Bass Production in Georgia: The First Steps

Clint Peacock, Georgia Department of Natural Resources, Wildlife Resources Division, 1255 Perry Pkwy
Perry, GA 31027. Email: clint.peacock@dnr.ga.gov

Smallmouth bass (Micropterus dolomieu) are a black bass species native to the Tennessee River
watershed, which includes parts of extreme northern Georgia. As with other black bass species, they
are frequently targeted by recreational anglers. Smallmouth bass in Georgia have had difficulty
competing with the introduced spotted bass (Micropterus punctulatus). These two factors have
presented a need and the public support for smallmouth bass conservation work. Due to the possibility
of hybridization between smallmouth bass and spotted bass, any broodfish collected from the wild need
to be genetically evaluated. Once wild broodfish arrive at the hatchery and are shown to be genetically
pure smallmouth bass, they are held in a concrete raceway where they will eventually spawn. Hatchery
conditions (temperature and lights) are controlled throughout the year to simulate changes in the
seasons. Spawning substrate is a mat of Spawntex with rocks adhered in the center. Spawned Eggs are
treated daily with 100 ppm of 35% Perox-Aid to limit fungus growth. Hatched fry are either stocked into
a pond or held inside and fed artemia nauplii. In 2017 two different diets were used in producing phase
II smallmouth bass. Fish in a pond were given live forage (fathead minnow and gambusia) while fish
inside the hatchery were fed a commercial pellet diet (Rangen Soft & Moist). Pond produced fish grew
from fry to 96.6mm average total length in roughly 4 months. In the same time period, pellet reared
fish grew from 51mm average to total length to 127.4mm. All fingerlings were stocked into Lake Blue
Ridge to support the struggling smallmouth bass population.

http://gaafs.org/pdfs/2018_GAAFSProg...habstracts.pdf
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-18, 10:15 AM   #2
fishtacos
Native

I don't know much about smallmouth but think that they probably require colder water relative to other bass species but can withstand warmer temps than trout. If I'm right, I would love to see them stocked in hooch dh. Makes a helluva lot more sense than trout.
fishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-18, 11:16 AM   #3
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Question Mid 1990s

We built our cabin north of Blue Ridge summer of '96 and I spoke to someone at a local boat dealer about fishing in Lake Blue Ridge. He said something to the effect that, "were hardly any bucket mouths, just a bunch of dang small mouths ...". I remember thinking to myself that Blue Ridge would be a great lake for small mouth and not good at all for largemouth! The massive water fluctuations and releases in the last few years played havoc with the trout in the tailwater and I have to think the lake species were equally disrupted.

Mr Durniak, can you shed light on this? --jk--
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-18, 11:35 AM   #4
THE EG
CFO, HoF Member, Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtacos View Post
I don't know much about smallmouth but think that they probably require colder water relative to other bass species but can withstand warmer temps than trout. If I'm right, I would love to see them stocked in hooch dh. Makes a helluva lot more sense than trout.
I'm pretty sure they already stock shoal bass in that area.
Old 02-12-18, 12:54 PM   #5
trout1980
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtacos View Post
Native shoal bass are stocked in that area.
trout1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-18, 12:56 PM   #6
trout1980
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
We built our cabin north of Blue Ridge summer of '96 and I spoke to someone at a local boat dealer about fishing in Lake Blue Ridge. He said something to the effect that, "were hardly any bucket mouths, just a bunch of dang small mouths ...". I remember thinking to myself that Blue Ridge would be a great lake for small mouth and not good at all for largemouth! The massive water fluctuations and releases in the last few years played havoc with the trout in the tailwater and I have to think the lake species were equally disrupted.

Mr Durniak, can you shed light on this? --jk--
Lake Blue Ridge is one of the few lakes in the state with no size limits on largemouth bass so there might have been something to it at one time.

Now its just mostly Alabama spotted bass anyway.
trout1980 is offline   Reply With Quote