NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-18, 10:21 PM   #11
Killer Kyle
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
That looks so fun man! Any thought of chasing them with super mini mice? We should do it. I think Bbailes did it.

Boy a topwater strike from an 11" Brookie would be sick.
I've thought about it more than you know. I have plenty of mice I tied up. I killed a cottontail, tanned it, and cut cross cut strips from it. The look of a mouse tied from real, wild cottontail is far superior to the crap you buy from the fly shop. My mice are far too big for brook trout, so I might have to kill and tan another soon to make some micro mouse patterns. You and I know that big bait equals big fish. Any old fly will catch any old speck, but the bigguns gotta eat. If I can manage to kill and tan another rabbit before small game season ends, I will cut and tie some micro mice and you can come up and try them with me. I think we would stand a very, very good chance of finding some bigger fish. Big is relative, of course!
Killer Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 11:55 PM   #12
splatek16

Great report.
I can attest to the micro mouse hypothesis. I got a nice, my biggest speck on a small foam and rabbit zonker mouse I tied way back when.
🐀eating 🐟 ... Perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 08:58 AM   #13
3-wt
Native, formerly known as "Streamside Sam"

Great report, Kyle, and great job getting out there and making it happen. I watch those N. Ga gages pretty closely, as well, and am counting the days to ~mid-March.
Old 02-10-18, 10:26 AM   #14
fishteeth
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Kyle View Post
Those are some great fish! What were the flies of the day, might I ask?
The thing I love about small stream fishing, my favorite fishing, is that the fly doesn't seem to matter nearly as much as presentation... and perhaps size. On these streams, I'm mainly a dry-dropper guy or sometimes a dry only. I'd rather catch fewer on top than more below. I got them on Adams and EHC on top and soft hackle or a beaded caddis pupa below. I threw some smallish wooly buggers through some deep holes to no avail.

Fishing was slowish, but I managed a few. The 10 inch rainbow surprised me. I've never caught any that big on this stream. And I've never caught a brookie that had a gut like yours!
fishteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 12:49 AM   #15
Jakkbauer
Native

Awesome report and thank you for showing me that blog!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jakkbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 01:14 AM   #16
Killer Kyle
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamside Sam View Post
Great report, Kyle, and great job getting out there and making it happen. I watch those N. Ga gages pretty closely, as well, and am counting the days to ~mid-March.
I say DON'T HESITATE brother. If you get a good streak of several days in the mid 50's anytime soon, then you need to pounce and head north. The fishing was so much better than I had expected. If I wasn't so slow and clumsy, there'd have been more in the net. I'd say to not shy away from wintertime specks like I have for so many years, but to capitalize on the warm streaks. It was some much needed therapy for the cabin blues.

Last edited by Killer Kyle; 02-11-18 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-11-18, 01:17 AM   #17
Killer Kyle
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakkbauer View Post
Awesome report and thank you for showing me that blog!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That's like thanking a friend for introducing you to crystal meth. You are going to be stuck reading that blog, and it's entries for the next three months, and your work and personal life are going to unravel because of the time you spend reading the posts. Thank me after you shuck the addiction and when you are getting your life back together.
Old 02-11-18, 01:24 AM   #18
Killer Kyle
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishteeth View Post
The thing I love about small stream fishing, my favorite fishing, is that the fly doesn't seem to matter nearly as much as presentation... and perhaps size. On these streams, I'm mainly a dry-dropper guy or sometimes a dry only. I'd rather catch fewer on top than more below. I got them on Adams and EHC on top and soft hackle or a beaded caddis pupa below. I threw some smallish wooly buggers through some deep holes to no avail.

Fishing was slowish, but I managed a few. The 10 inch rainbow surprised me. I've never caught any that big on this stream. And I've never caught a brookie that had a gut like yours!
I think I know which stream you were fishing based on the pictures of the fish you provided. If I am correct, a 10" fish should not be considered unusual there. They're not terribly common, but not terribly rate either.
As for the flies, have you ever tried fishing the Fran Betters " the Usual" dry? I've had a fascination with that pattern lately, and I like it for lots of different reasons. It is ugly as sin, but the more I think about tying and fishing it, the more reasons I can justify tying and fishing it. Visibility on a tiny creek is reason #1. Ever heard of it?
Old 02-11-18, 01:13 PM   #19
fishteeth
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Kyle View Post
I think I know which stream you were fishing based on the pictures of the fish you provided. If I am correct, a 10" fish should not be considered unusual there. They're not terribly common, but not terribly rate either.
As for the flies, have you ever tried fishing the Fran Betters " the Usual" dry? I've had a fascination with that pattern lately, and I like it for lots of different reasons. It is ugly as sin, but the more I think about tying and fishing it, the more reasons I can justify tying and fishing it. Visibility on a tiny creek is reason #1. Ever heard of it?
I'm not familiar with that patten, but I just looked it up... yep, pretty ugly! But you are right, seeing the fly is so critical on these small streams. Looks like it would float well, too.

I haven't tied a fly in a long time, and when I did I had no idea what I was doing. My only bragging point was that I shot a wood duck and took some of the feathers to make a few crude wooly buggers. Those buggers murdered the stockers on the Tuck DH. They loved it but would have probably eaten anything! None of those flies lasted very long due to my poor wrapping skills! Haha. But I still get a sense of pride thinking about it nonetheless. Maybe I'll get into tying when my girls are grown.
fishteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 12:32 AM   #20
Trouter23
Native

Awesome report, Kyle! Thanks for taking the time to write this up and thanks for the pics.