NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-18, 10:22 PM   #1
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

Default Richmond, Virginia Bows

So I recently got a car donated to me from my cousin who lives in NJ. Nothing huge, a 2002 Toyota Camry but I'm immensely grateful and it's a huge relief for a broke grad. I did have the task of driving it the 11 hours back to GA. To break the trip in half, I stayed a night in my other cousins house in Virginia. Fortunately, he is an avid angler too, and we both headed off to one of his favorite places to fish for Stillwater trout. Sometimes it pays to be the youngest of all the cousins.

Yeah... not doing this trip in one go if I can help it.

Unfortunately, I took a one way flight up so I didn't bring any fly gear to reduce the hassle of worrying about breaking a rod or getting stopped with hooks. It was a Sunday, and him being a pastor, we departed for our fishing trip from the church around 3PM. He lent me his ugly stick and off we went.

The day was rainy and windy, not unlike the past few days here in GA. We both bought ponchos and rigged up. My cousin slid on a keitech and I cinched down a white 1/16 ounce wiggle tail minnow hoping for the best...

Now I'll be honest, I am not the best with conventional fishing gear and haven't used it to target trout before, but I had some confidence in reading structure and trout feeding behavior. While my cousin began pounding the deep middle of the lake, I had a feeling the shoreline with its depressions and coves were probably the ticket...

I'm man enough to admit, my instincts were wrong and my cousin was ripping off fish left and right and I only got a pretty solid rainbow and a LDR haha. The trout in there were huge as evidenced by my cousin's catch and were busting out of the water at times, taking something off the surface that I could not see. I still was too stubborn to give up on what looked like such a prime lie. 2 hours and 3 relatively disappointing-sized bows later, I was still walking alongside the shoreline and hitting the same relative location.

The sky became grey and a layer of fog stealthily arose, hovering the deepest part of the water. We both knew it was getting near the time to depart, but I am sure the determined look etched upon my face pushed the time a little further than expected. "One more cast?" My cousin hinted as the wind picked up. "Yeah sure" I replied, and let out the fateful cast.

Letting the bait get down to depth, I imparted several twitches into the rod as I reeled. It wasn't until my bait passed the submerged log, I felt the rapid ticks of something else on the other end. Waiting a second until I felt the positive tug away from me, I set the hook.

Immediately the drag screamed bloody murder and I held on for dear life. It was only after I tightened the drag that I could start working the Beast in. After a lengthy fight, and adrenaline coursing through my veins, I beheld a submarine of a trout!

What a beaut!

This picture does the size justice haha.

After that fight, we left on a high note. The 7 hours driving back to the Peach state seemed a lot shorter after being on a high like that. Thanks for reading guys and as always, Tight Lines!

-Sighter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sighter; 02-16-18 at 10:46 PM.
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-18, 11:34 PM   #2
Philhutch80
Native

Thumbs up

Sick fish sighter! Stillwater fishing for trout is a different animal especially when bows are involved.
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-18, 11:39 PM   #3
Sighter

Thanks Phil! I learned that lesson pretty fast. I thought they'd fight like those pellet piggies in Ravens Fork... nope haha.
Old 02-18-18, 07:00 AM   #4
HILLIS LANIER
Native

Great report! Nice fish!
Old 02-18-18, 11:35 AM   #5
Sighter

I appreciate the kind words Hillis! It is probably my largest rainbow so far

Old 02-18-18, 12:22 PM   #6
Swamp Angel
President

Wait a minute! Are you telling us that there are trout to be caught around Richmond, VA??? I spent five months there two years ago and never once knew there were trout around there without taking a drive to the mountains.

Oh, if that trout was caught anywhere within forty miles of Richmond I'm gonna get sick.

That's a beautiful looking trout by the way, and pretty durned sizable. Looks like the footballs that roam the waters of Unicoi's Nacoochee Bend, and the Soque at Fern Valley!

Congrat's on a great catch!
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-18, 05:35 PM   #7
Sighter

Haha i hate to tell you this but it was caught within a 15 mile radius of Richmond! My cousin has a friend who lives there and apparently the rainbows were stocked decades ago and haven't been stocked again. I have no idea how they reproduce but they're there and they somehow get to a huge size. They are an abnormality in the area for sure, but the lake is deep enough for them to weather out the summer it seems. Thanks for the kind words Swamp!