NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Ask the Experts
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-18, 09:32 PM   #1
Default old school bamboo

My Dad is cleaning house and moving out. He popped open a wooden box and showed me a couple of bamboo rods. The labels were worn off and they looked fairly old. One was a fly rod and the other was a casting rod...go figure. Any idea who can put an eyeball on 'em and help me figure out what they are?

Taylure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-18, 10:01 PM   #2
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Some pictures would certainly help here, but you did provide one clue that might hint at their origin. After WWII, many GI's brought home cheap Japanese made bamboo rods and these typically came in wooden boxes as you described and the boxes usually came with some basic flies to fish with. If that is the case, they are not worth much money wise but they are still serviceable fishing poles.

If you search Ebay for Japanese bamboo fly rods, you will see many examples of them. Here is what I am trying to describe:

Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-18, 10:56 PM   #3

Bang on Buck. That pic looks **** close to the one I should have included in the post. I did notice a made in Japan card in there but figured that was normal since that's probably where the bamboo was. Or is that China?...

Peace out.
Old 02-19-18, 09:37 AM   #4
Hall of Fame Member
Default Go Fish!

Clean it up and go fish with it! As noted, not a collectable ......... right now. But at one time '38 Ford coupes were considered just junk so who knows what might collectable ten years down the road. Meanwhile you have a neat little piece of history. Just keep all the original elements.
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-18, 10:56 AM   #5
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

I've got 3 or 4 of these. Some are in fishable condition, some not. Check out the wraps on the guides to make sure they are tight. You can seal dry wraps with some epoxy or even clear fingernail polish. If the wraps are coming loose, you can rewrap them. Put it together, flex the rod a few times and feel for a "click" or bump.This would mean a loose ferrule. Loose ferrules would need to be removed and remounted.
If your rod is in good shape, string it up with a 6wt line if you have one. Most of these rods were in the 5-6wt range. If all is well, take it fishing. As already said, they are not highly collectible. But they can be highly fun!

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-18, 04:49 PM   #6

Very cool, thanks for the info. Fiddling around with this will be fun. Hopefully it's a 7' and I'll have a small stream rod. Might need to test it on the Soque.
Old 02-19-18, 04:55 PM   #7
Swamp Angel

Oh yeah! SeveSo what if it's not a valuable collectible, it's a fun rod to fish and that's a whole lot better than being a collectible hanging on a wall somewhere unused.

I've used mine both as a fly rod and a spinning rod. The tip of mine has a funky twist/warp to it, so it serves me better as a spinning rod. Lots of fun to hook up with on a trout!

Like many others have said, go out and have some fun with it. That's why it was made in the first place!
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-18, 08:35 PM   #8

Between 1956 - 1960 Baddour's Discount Stores (forerunner of Fred's) had the rods in the box like that for what I remember as about $3, which calculates to around $25 today. If they had a reel available and line I probably would have gotten myself one. That was about what I made for cutting someone lawn back then.
"We will be soldiers, so our sons may be farmers, so their sons may be artists."--Thomas Jefferson.
UncleJesse is offline   Reply With Quote