NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-18, 09:10 AM   #11
jonmo
Native

Let us know how your time on the Chauga goes HILLIS. I've never fished there but if Browniez likes it that much, it must be good.

Doc
jonmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 09:52 AM   #12
Sam_MTB
Native

The Chauga is great. I haven't been up there this year either, but I spent a lot of time in college on those waters. Cassidy Bridge is the easiest spot to park and access. You can walk down or up stream and it is easy to navigate on foot. Swing by the Chattooga River Fly Shop and they will tell you every thing you need to know! Super helpful folks.
Old 02-06-18, 09:30 PM   #13
HILLIS LANIER
Native

I should have posted this in the "Beyond Georgia" section as the Chauga is in South Carolina. Anyway, I made it to the Chauga today with a friend. We caught several fish and the river was beautiful. The Chauga is everything it was billed to be. Thanks again everyone for all the intel. I will return! We entered at Cassidy Bridge and caught a few upstream about 100 yards or so from the bridge. We then hiked a really good distance upstream, passing a lot of water that we would like to have fished, but the water was murky and we could not see the bottom, so we passed it up. Also, walked by some fast water that looked difficult to wade, so we passed it up. Finally we found some really nice tail outs and deep holes a good distance upstream from the bridge that produced several more nice size fish. The flies of the day for me were beaded green and reddish eggs. Also, I caught one stripping a black wooly bugger. My friend had a really nice one on a white wooly bugger. Here are pics of some of the fish we caught and pics of the stream.

Last edited by HILLIS LANIER; 02-06-18 at 09:35 PM. Reason: clarification
HILLIS LANIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 10:12 AM   #14
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

Excellent! Glad you enjoyed!
Old 02-07-18, 10:18 AM   #15
jonmo
Native

Sure sounds like you made the right call to get up there HILLIS. Thanks for sharing your report, and pic's!!

Doc
jonmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 11:14 AM   #16
Dave375
Native

Good stuff Hillis!!
Dave375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 11:36 AM   #17
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Good looking water thanks for the report Hillis.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-18, 01:15 PM   #18
trout1980
Native

Nice fish
trout1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 06:50 PM   #19
HILLIS LANIER
Native

I want to fish the Chauga again. How do I get info on whether or not it is safe to wade on any particular day, such as a gage, and what is the recommended depth for safe wading? I called the Chatooga River Fly Shop in the last day or so and the fellow I talked to told me that day it was high and dangerous to wade, which is what I expected to hear. I should have asked him how to find this info on the internet, but I did not. I checked the USGS Water Watch but could not find the Chauga River.