NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-18, 07:38 PM   #1
Default Saw something unusual at Buford Dam

I was there today when I saw a guy throwing a cast net at the boat ramp. One of those circular nets with weights on the end. Unusual to me and is it legal?
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-18, 07:47 PM   #2
Swamp Angel

Perfectly legal on the lake side of the dam. Completely illegal on the tail water section of the CRNRA though. Only one hand held rod may be used when fishing the designated trout waters of the river.
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-18, 07:48 PM   #3
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Possibly not legal. Others may be along shortly to clarify. From the DNR:

Seines, Cast Nets, Bow Nets
  • Only nongame fish less than 5 inches in length may be taken using a minnow seine and are not to be sold or used for commercial purposes.
  • All other fish and eels taken in minnow seines must be released immediately unharmed into the water.
  • A minnow seine must be less than 20 feet in length and have a 3⁄8 inch or less mesh (square or diameter).
  • Minnow seines may not be used in designated trout waters.
  • Minnow traps are illegal in freshwater.
  • Dip nets and cast nets may be used to take threadfin shad, gizzard shad, and blueback herring for bait except cast nets may not be used in State Park Lakes.
  • Bow nets are considered sport shad fishing gear and shall have a minimum legal size of 3 inches stretched mesh.
"What's his offense?"
"Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure
Trout8myfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-18, 08:35 PM   #4
BOD, Hall of Fame

100% Illegal if on the river. There were some guys at Jones Bridge a few years ago that were busted doing the same thing.

Glorious day in my book watching a couple bad guys get busted.
I am officially upgrading Gatorbyte from "fly in my ointment" to "thorn in my side". If he happens to elevate himself to "pain in my a$$" I'm gonna blame it on RScott.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

baldea is offline   Reply With Quote