NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-18, 09:18 AM   #11
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceja View Post
Dumb question I know...but what is a blue line?
@Bruceja: not a dumb question, one I asked just about a year ago. A blueline is supposed to represent an 'unnamed creek/stream' - that is, if you look at a map, it simply appears as a "blue line" In Georgia, and likely other places, there aren't really any "true" bluelines anymore. Most creeks, streams, and watersheds have names these days, but here we still refer to them as bluelines to protect these sensitive watersheds. They typically hold small wild fish, populations that are sensitive to many environmental factors such as temperature and drought, and possibly to angler pressure. That is why the OP kept the name of the creek somewhat cryptic.
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 09:31 AM   #12
I_got_skunked
Native

Nice fish. That lower section seems to be good for an occasional holdover that has worked their way upstream.

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.
I_got_skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 11:22 AM   #13
3-wt
Native, formerly known as "Streamside Sam"

Great job, skimt127. Your expression in that pic says it all....catching a beautiful wild fish on a 2 wt, in a scenic spot, with no other anglers around. Awesome.

Last edited by 3-wt; 02-26-18 at 11:28 AM.
3-wt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 11:37 AM   #14
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Blue Lines could also refer to the old maps that showed streams which were only open during trout season; on the maps those streams were shown in blue. But now there is no longer a designated trout season and all streams are open (Delayed Harvest is different). The PDF maps on the DNR site were replaced with an interactive map. Notice some streams have special regulations and are in purple.

We still list the link here on NGTO but the link is dead over on DNR. Guess we could point it to the new interactive map.
Trout8myfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 11:53 AM   #15
skimt127
Stocker

Sighter, I am in love with the Butter Stick. It was an absolute joy to cast. The presentations were so delicate. I was using a 50" furled leader (Cutthroat Furled Leaders) and they were really great. You should check them out.
skimt127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 01:10 PM   #16
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimt127 View Post
Sighter, I am in love with the Butter Stick. It was an absolute joy to cast. The presentations were so delicate. I was using a 50" furled leader (Cutthroat Furled Leaders) and they were really great. You should check them out.
Furled leader?
I've been playing with one on my homemade bamboo stick... it's even cheaper than the eagle claw... and it allows my seven year old to flick a dry pretty much where ever he likes. Is your furled leader made from mono or something else. The one I have is made from, well I don't actually know, but it's not mono and seems to get water logged fairly quickly, which then changes the dynamics on my boy casting it.
Old 02-26-18, 01:15 PM   #17
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

It's hard not to have fun just casting the thing, let alone playing a fish on it. I haven't used furled leaders yet, but heard enough about them on the orvis podcasts to know their effectiveness with dries! Ill look into getting one for my butterstick to switch out with my standard taper and Euro leader 👍🏼

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 06:30 PM   #18
skimt127
Stocker

Splatek16, I use Otter Butter on my furled leaders and lines. One good coat lasts all day for fishing!
skimt127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 10:50 PM   #19
FlickNdip
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimt127 View Post
Splatek16, I use Otter Butter on my furled leaders and lines. One good coat lasts all day for fishing!

I've been using a Furrled leader on my dry set ups for a while now (Steve Hudson gave me my first homemade one 11 years ago). You can also hit them with floatant to keep em afloat.

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!
FlickNdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-18, 07:54 AM   #20
splatek16

I didn't even think of floatant and I grease my regular leader all the time. DOH!
Thanks y'all