NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-18, 11:36 PM   #11
Trouter23
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_lengths View Post
Get the Chattachoochee NF map or the Dyer Gap USGS quad. Park on a public road (county or FS). Navigate cross country - MAKING SURE TO STAY ON FS LAND - using map and compass or GPS. As long as you stay off private land you'll be fine. Your Dad would be proud.
Listen to this advice. He knows what he's talking about. I'm looking forward to hearing your report!
Old 02-22-18, 09:59 AM   #12
I_got_skunked
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znorton View Post
Local yokel here from Gilmer County. I've always wanted to fish upper MountainTown. Would love to hear a report. It looks to me like you could park at the Bear Creek Campground where BC flows into MT and hike upstream on the left side of the creek until you get close to the lake. Private property around the lake, but the ridge on the left side of the creek is only 1,900ft compared to 1,600 at the lake. If you went over the top of the ridge it'd only be 0.9 mile hike from parking lot to the creek upstream of Hills Lake. Other option would be staying left on the FS road that accesses Bear Creek Campground, follow it 'til it ends, and head due east over one ridge (2,000 ft.) and down the other side. That way is actually shorter at about 0.6mi, but probably going to be a lot more trailblazing. The only other legitimate option, IMO, would be to take the Pinhotti trail south from Buddy Cove Gap on FS64. That trail is mostly downhill and follows Crenshaw Branch to its confluence with Heddy Creek where they form MTC. Best I can tell its roughly 4miles from Buddy Cove Gap to the confluence. From the confluence, it's 2.5 creek miles downstream to Hills Lake.

I'm curious as to how big the creek is from Hills Lake to the confluence. Also curious as to when the lake was created, and how it changed the fisheries both upstream and downstream.

I don't know if you've seen it mentioned elsewhere on this forum, but caltopo.com is another option for mapping besides Google.

Tight lines!
I've asked a couple of times, but maybe third or fourth times a charm: are SABT in the coosa basin naturally? I've heard of a few places that allegedly had them at one point, but were barren when I went to explore.

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

Last edited by THE EG; 02-22-18 at 10:37 AM.
I_got_skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 10:47 AM   #13
flyfisher062305
Native

I was lucky enough to fish the creek above Hills Lake twice last year. First time was late summer and second time in Dec. While that water is some of the best and fishiest looking trout water I have seen anywhere in GA, and there's little I haven't fished, the results both times left me feeling quite defeated. The first time, between 3 guides, we landed a total of around a dozen trout; one 10" gorgeous brown and the rest 3-6" bows. Second trip, with just 2 of us, we were both skunked. That water just seemed way too good to not produce better. We couldn't even spook any fish that day. Only excuses we could convince ourselves of was the fish might all be down in the lake and/or low/warm water conditions from years past probably have the fishery still in recover mode. I'm hoping to get another chance at checking it out again before summer arrives. Best of luck to you in your upcoming attempt....hope you do better than we did!

Mark
flyfisher062305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 12:32 PM   #14
Znorton
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_got_skunked View Post
I've asked a couple of times, but maybe third or fourth times a charm: are SABT in the coosa basin naturally? I've heard of a few places that allegedly had them at one point, but were barren when I went to explore.
I've never caught bookies in the Coosa, but really haven't fished it much. This map would suggest they are there, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180222-122840.jpg (98.4 KB, 39 views)
Znorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 01:19 PM   #15
I_got_skunked
Native

The rumor that's been posted on here is that that single population was a bucket biologist special. That being said, that has the same veracity of the claims that there are brook trout in tributaries not shown on that map. Hard to know what to believe.

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.
I_got_skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 01:20 PM   #16
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

Oh man, it's starting to get warm in here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 02:06 PM   #17
Bruceja
Stocker

Did my thread just get hijacked?! haha
Bruceja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 02:30 PM   #18
AK Pipeline
Native

Default Done it.....once

Like you, a number of years ago I was on the same mission. I think I posted about my trip a few years ago. Don't do what I did - bring the right supplies! When I was on my mission, I seem to recall that the trail from the lake following the creek up to the headwaters is heavily used by mountain bikers. I think I saw the trailhead for mountaintown creek once while driving on a FS road up around the headwaters of the Jacks River (I think Jacks River flows north off of that ridge, and Mountaintown starts on the south side of that mountain). In other words, there is another option - though it may be a long hike.
AK Pipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 09:24 AM   #19
mudrun
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Pipeline View Post
Like you, a number of years ago I was on the same mission. I think I posted about my trip a few years ago. Don't do what I did - bring the right supplies! When I was on my mission, I seem to recall that the trail from the lake following the creek up to the headwaters is heavily used by mountain bikers. I think I saw the trailhead for mountaintown creek once while driving on a FS road up around the headwaters of the Jacks River (I think Jacks River flows north off of that ridge, and Mountaintown starts on the south side of that mountain). In other words, there is another option - though it may be a long hike.
This is the trailhead at Rich Knob - mountain bikers go down that? Through the gorge? I hope they bring their parachutes...

I have seen lots (relatively speaking) of bikers and distance runners on the Pinhoti trail, which connects Bear Creek and Mountaintown, along its very lengthy stretch. Note that the Tim Homan hiking books were either printed before this section of Pinhoti was laid down or he chose not to document it because he doesn't cover multi-use trails, so a trail or Nat Geo topo map is the better bet.

(although I have noted a recurring, perhaps coincidental, theme of Homan not covering certain trails near sensitive or dangerous things - for example, he doesn't cover the trails that lead to Ellison's Cave - I guess those are multi-use?)

A friend of mine whose family has owned land out this way for generations insists there are other, shorter ways in on public land but I've spent enough time in the Cohutta to be extremely wary about going off trail here, especially so close to so much private land. Guess I like the Conasauga tributaries too much...

Looking forward to this trip report!
mudrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-18, 12:46 PM   #20
Bruceja
Stocker

Date Change! Going on the 18th (daughters soccer games are killing my Saturdays). We are going to go to the END of bear creek camp road. I guess this is where the bear creek trail head starts and we are walking east .6 miles to the little stream on the west fork of UMTC and going to follow it down to the structures. I am looking forward to this adventure!
Bruceja is offline   Reply With Quote