NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-18, 07:27 AM   #11
fishteeth
Native

Erik,
I think I may have met you at the trailhead and saw you at the fly shop. Was that you in the beanie cap and Toyota truck?

Anyway, I've fished this water above Burrell's Ford a good bit, but I've never had a truly great day. I've had some good days. I grew up backpacking with my dad there, so I keep returning for the challenge, beauty, and sentimental reasons. I didn't have as much luck (or likely as much skill!) as you Saturday. I only landed one then.

The water was high. Bugs were hatching everywhere, but I never saw a riser. I struggled to get my flies deep enough as I left my streamers and weighted flies in the truck after talking to Karl. Thought it was going to be more of a day with the dry flies, but that never panned out.

Anyway, nice job. Nice fish!

Last edited by fishteeth; 06-08-18 at 10:06 PM.
fishteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 10:38 AM   #12
erikclymore
Native

Yes, that was me. That’s a beautiful brown. So much red!
I was also surprised at the lack of top water activity. And I promise you I was struggling at first. I finally found my rhythm in the slower runs/ tail outs.
I hooked the majority of fish drifting and swinging an olive micro bugger that was super weighted. It’s my go to fly. It gets deep in a hurry! I’ll change my droppers frequently, but that one or a variant is almost always my anchor.
erikclymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 03:54 PM   #13
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishteeth View Post
Erik,
I think I may have met you at the trailhead and saw you at the fly shop. Was that you in the beanie cap and Toyota truck?

Anyway, I've fished this water above Burrell's Ford a good bit, but I've never had a truly great day. I've had some good days. I grew up backpacking with my dad there, so I keep returning for the challenge, beauty, and sentimental reasons. I didn't have as much luck (or likely as much skill!) as you Saturday. I only landed one then.

The water was high. Bugs were hatching everywhere, but I never saw a riser. I struggled to get my flies deep enough as I left my streamers and weighted flies in the truck after talking to Karl. Thought it was going to be more of a day with the dry flies, but that never panned out.

Anyway, nice job. Nice fish!
Now THAT is a purty brown! Well done sir!

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
-Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
-PH
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 02:47 PM   #14
fishteeth
Native

Erik,
Great. Glad to have met you. Glad you had a good day on the river and figured it out! As you mentioned, the best way to do the Chattooga is an overnight trip.
fishteeth is offline   Reply With Quote