NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fly Tying Bench > Fly Tying
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-18, 10:42 PM   #1
AllenG
Native

Default Whatís this called

What is the technique called when one splits the thread, embeds a line of feather fibers between the thread strands, and then spins the bobbin?

For the life of me I cannot remember what itís called. Iím trying to look up patterns on YouTube.

Thanks for helping my failing memory.
AllenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 10:54 PM   #2
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

I've mostly heard the technique being referred to as the "Split Thread Technique". Usually for quicker Dubbing loops, or for gripping CDC feathers tightly.
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-18, 12:53 AM   #3
AllenG
Native

Thanks, John.
AllenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-18, 02:06 AM   #4
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

Glad to help! Seems like you already had the answer in your question 👍🏼

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-18, 07:45 AM   #5
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Dubbing loop or a composite loop where you can double the thread over onto itself without splitting if you want more substance. You can almost make a sort of “dubbing brush” this way.A dubbing spinner tool helps but is not necessary, very easy to make your own.
Our enemies are those in league with imperialism- the warlords, the bureaucrats, the comprador class and the reactionary section of the intelligentsia attached to them. The leading force in our revolution is the industrial proletariat. Our closest friends are the entire semi-proletariat and petty bourgeoisie. As for the vacillating middle bourgeoisie, the left wing may become our enemies, and their right wing may become our friend. Our enemies are all around us. We must always be on our guard.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-18, 09:42 AM   #6
Mog
Hall of Fame Member

Sighter's got it. Generally referred to as a split thread technique. Not sure if he invented it but if you look at Marc Petitjean videos you'll see he uses this method a lot.

It's advantage over standard dubbing loop is reduced bulk at tie in point. The disadvantage is it is not as strong as the doubled thread of the dubbing loop. Don't over-twist the bobbin or you can pop the thread.