NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Warm Water Reports--Freshwater
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-18, 08:02 AM   #21
Philhutch80
Native

They were actively crushing topwater yesterday in my secret hideaway in the ghetto. Got some nice ones with the girls being bout full of eggs. I give it two weeks tops for this pond and they will be on bed.

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
-Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
-PH
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-18, 10:04 AM   #22
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

...back when I used to bass fish Eufaula a lot, Tom Mann said the bass bedded when the oak leaves were the size of a squirrel's ear...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 05:39 PM   #23
Groundhog
Native

Wondering how this upcoming cold spell will affect the pond bass after that warm spell? It's gotta screw with the fish, I'd think, but I'm a big dummie...

Old 03-06-18, 07:26 PM   #24
richf7
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Wondering how this upcoming cold spell will affect the pond bass after that warm spell? It's gotta screw with the fish, I'd think, but I'm a big dummie...

Iíve always thought the fish screw with us.
richf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 07:32 PM   #25
JerryG
Native

Quote:

Keep us posted when you get back out! I won't be back bass fishing til next weekend. Gotta trip already planned to hit the White this weekend.

So many fish, so little time.

JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 08:12 PM   #26
Dsaporsky
Native

Quote:

I hit the pond (200 acre lake?) on Sunday, and we only saw 1 fish setting up a bed. But golly gosh darn, it was a tank! Maybe 5 pounds, a big one for that lake! (it's way over crowded) So I would say any of them that had moved up were pulled back into the channels and on points.
Dsaporsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 07:20 AM   #27
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

...when the big females start bedding, they will hit to kill a salamander or 3 finger bream near the bed...they don't eat , they just kill it and spit it out...critical to know because you have a few seconds to set the hook...after they drop eggs, the smaller males move in to guard the nest...that's when you pick up flabby-gutted females in slightly deeper water, still near beds , but off the beds...the males will hit anything that invades the space and they will consume the prey...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Old 03-07-18, 07:48 AM   #28
Jakkbauer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counslrman View Post
...when the big females start bedding, they will hit to kill a salamander or 3 finger bream near the bed...they don't eat , they just kill it and spit it out...critical to know because you have a few seconds to set the hook...after they drop eggs, the smaller males move in to guard the nest...that's when you pick up flabby-gutted females in slightly deeper water, still near beds , but off the beds...the males will hit anything that invades the space and they will consume the prey...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Pro tip right here

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jakkbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 09:16 PM   #29
AllTimeLow
Native

Quote:

The changes in pressure every other day is not helping either. FWIW, if its a big un, it's probably a her rather than a him. If you can see beds and even better the fish on the bed, get something that will sink quickly with and let it sit until you cant stand it. Often they will just pick it up and move it out of the bed with no intention of actually eating it. if you have anything that can resemble a salamander, they will kill that with a vengeance.
Topwater bite shouldn't be far away
AllTimeLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-18, 08:51 AM   #30
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakkbauer View Post
Pro tip right here

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
...I really like the Zoom 6" or 8" in June Bug or Motor Oil shades...

...I use a #5 or #7 split shot 12" to 18" up the line and a 3/0 or 5/0 worm hook...when you cast it past the bed, and drag it slowly, the split shot makes a silt trail and then the salamander shows up..
Blessings!

Jimmy