NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Firearms & Shooting
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-18, 10:10 AM   #11
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

Clearly you have a defective, worn out firearm, I will gladly take it off your hands for $50.00, let me know where to pick it up.

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-18, 08:59 AM   #12
buckman1
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScott View Post
Clearly you have a defective, worn out firearm, I will gladly take it off your hands for $50.00, let me know where to pick it up.
It may not be patterning good for turkeys right now, but it still shoots skeets and doves just fine!
buckman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-18, 01:51 PM   #13
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScott View Post
I picked up a 700 ADL 243 with a similar comment while in the woods. Heard guy down the road shoot and here comes this doe into the food plot and falls over dead. About an hour later, guy comes walking by bitching about his rifle and that he wouldn't give it away to his worst enemy. I offer up $50. SOLD! Here's the $50 and I take possession of it.

As we start walking back to camp, tell him that his doe is laying in the food plot, stone dead.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-18, 11:06 PM   #14
theosprey
Native

For reference, I’ve attempted to upload some photos of 20 gauge patterns with “heavyweight” number 7’s. The 1 1/2 oz 3” load resulted in 169 pellets in a 10” circle at 40 yards. The 1 1/8oz 2 3/4” load put 116 in a 10” at 40 yards. The redeeming factor on the 2 3/4” shells was the even pattern.

These were shot from a standing position with a youth 870 at 40 yards with a .565 Truglo choke. I’m well aware that these aren’t the great numbers some people are getting out of Tss #9’s with a polished barrel, but I’ve honestly never even cleaned this barrel.

I stumbled into 2 boxes of 1 1/8oz 2 3/4” federal heavyweights this week. I know the pattern is close to the magic 100 pellet count minimum a lot of people go by, but I think the pattern is just even and dense enough to keep me from fighting with Nitro.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6C190722-F600-4694-8159-A0E02207716B.jpg (8.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 372F4C03-6418-4118-B40C-C923C719DE25.jpg (8.4 KB, 14 views)

Team Maddog
theosprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-18, 11:09 PM   #15
terry creech
Director, Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntfish View Post
I picked up a 700 ADL 243 with a similar comment while in the woods. Heard guy down the road shoot and here comes this doe into the food plot and falls over dead. About an hour later, guy comes walking by bitching about his rifle and that he wouldn't give it away to his worst enemy. I offer up $50. SOLD! Here's the $50 and I take possession of it.

As we start walking back to camp, tell him that his doe is laying in the food plot, stone dead.
I bought my friends muzzle loader for $100 cause he wanted a better one, having not killed a deer with this one over several seasons. Killed an 8 pt that weighed in at 213 and offered to sell it back to him for 200. He's like, why the inflation? I told him "it works now." Wound up whacking a few deer with that cheap smoke pole.
"Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37
terry creech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-18, 07:49 AM   #16
buckman1
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by theosprey View Post
For reference, I’ve attempted to upload some photos of 20 gauge patterns with “heavyweight” number 7’s. The 1 1/2 oz 3” load resulted in 169 pellets in a 10” circle at 40 yards. The 1 1/8oz 2 3/4” load put 116 in a 10” at 40 yards. The redeeming factor on the 2 3/4” shells was the even pattern.

These were shot from a standing position with a youth 870 at 40 yards with a .565 Truglo choke. I’m well aware that these aren’t the great numbers some people are getting out of Tss #9’s with a polished barrel, but I’ve honestly never even cleaned this barrel.

I stumbled into 2 boxes of 1 1/8oz 2 3/4” federal heavyweights this week. I know the pattern is close to the magic 100 pellet count minimum a lot of people go by, but I think the pattern is just even and dense enough to keep me from fighting with Nitro.
That's a great pattern. I'd hunt with that no problem! I killed plenty of turkeys in my younger days, before fancy chokes and ammo, with a factory full and win super X 4's that didn't have 1/3 the count at 35!
buckman1 is offline   Reply With Quote