NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-18, 11:22 PM   #21
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

Oh my goodness that is a fish of dreams right there. Great stuff man, and thanks for sharing!
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 10:58 AM   #22
mudrun
Native

Logged back in today to read this story and see the speck again and get ramped for heading out ... I'm visiting family in Colorado and we are headed into the wilderness for a week starting Sunday.

I drove out here, and a good fish or two will make that long, long road home through Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri a whole lot more bearable.

(On a related note, it was hard driving over the White. Why am I putting this river in my rearview? Makes no sense.)

Kyle, this is a beautiful fish, and I clearly need to hit the maps and trails some more in the Hooch NF.
mudrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 12:59 PM   #23
Dylar
Native

Lovely fish. At the growth rates attainable in most southern Appalachian headwaters streams, that's a fish pushing five, maybe six years old, and that's pretty much as long as a brook trout can live. It is exceedingly rare to see one live past three in this part of the country.
Dylar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 05:28 PM   #24
Killer Kyle
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylar View Post
Lovely fish. At the growth rates attainable in most southern Appalachian headwaters streams, that's a fish pushing five, maybe six years old, and that's pretty much as long as a brook trout can live. It is exceedingly rare to see one live past three in this part of the country.
Dylar, here is another interesting fact. This fish's stomach contained merely one large stonefly. The rest of the contents were skeletal. There were two spinal columns, and one dish's lower jawbone. There are no other fish species in that part of the creek. No shiners, chubs, Dace, other trout or other minnows. Th confirms what we already know. They can be cannabilistic just like all other trout. When they grow to this fish's size, they need the protein, so they get the protein. That I could discern, this speck wasn't messing with midges. He was on the protein, to include other brook trout.
Killer Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 06:08 PM   #25
Dylar
Native

Oh yeah, I've caught 9" brookies with 4" brookies jammed down their gullets, sometimes with the bones from the fins sticking out through their sides. They're the most aggressive salmonids on earth weight for weight.
Dylar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 09:53 PM   #26
Killer Kyle
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylar View Post
Oh yeah, I've caught 9" brookies with 4" brookies jammed down their gullets, sometimes with the bones from the fins sticking out through their sides. They're the most aggressive salmonids on earth weight for weight.
You ate absolutely right about that. I sometimes call them "creek sharks". They amaze me. I'd be tickled to catch one with another speck down it's throat. That'd be photoworthy!
I remember on that same creek where this one came from, I was fishing s free years ago. I cast s fly into the head of a pool. In a split second, I caught sight of a brook trout darting across the pool. It tried to take the fly but missed. It has gained so much speedsnd velocity, it cleared not far shy of 1' out of the water. I was amazed watching that probably 5" fish sail through the air. I laughed, and remember thinking "that thing is a tadpole that thinks it's a whale".
Killer Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-18, 08:36 PM   #27
Back Country
Native

Sweet! Oink, oink.
Back Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-18, 10:27 AM   #28
Philhutch80
Native

Heckuva fish right there Kyle! Not surprised at all that he went piscivorious. Now it is on to 13"!!!

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
-Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
-PH
Philhutch80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-18, 02:03 PM   #29
Budwick
Native

Solid fish man, Congrats! I can't imagine the shear excitement you must of felt reeling that bad boy in. Creek shark for sure.

Instagram @_big_wurm
Budwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-18, 10:37 PM   #30
Spacedust128
Stocker

Wow. New here , but congrats. That a heck of a fish.
Spacedust128 is offline   Reply With Quote