NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-18, 04:46 PM   #31
splatek16

Man, I've been debating about scouts for a year. Maybe I'll sign mini me up this fall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-18, 04:57 PM   #32
Swamp Angel
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
Man, I've been debating about scouts for a year. Maybe I'll sign mini me up this fall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
8 years old to start Cub Scouts (although I think Tiger Scouts start at 7 years old). 3rd and 4th grades are Cub Scout years with 5th grade being "Webelos" and 6th grade bringing them into the big boy scouts at the age of somewhere around 11. That means that there are six years to work up to Eagle Scout rank. (And, the Eagle Scout Badge is the only civilian award allowed to be worn upon the uniform of military personnel in the United States.)

If he's interested, let him go full tilt! He may turn out out be a natural like his dad. But above all, keep doing what you're doing. You're raising a fine young man there!
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-18, 05:06 PM   #33
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Thumbs up The Bookshelf

That is one very impressive collection of books!
JOHNKIES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-18, 05:30 PM   #34
mudrun
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Angel View Post
(And, the Eagle Scout Badge is the only civilian award allowed to be worn upon the uniform of military personnel in the United States.)
Did not know this - interesting!

Is the BSA Handbook related to the american boys handy book? I have my tattered copy sitting between my US Army FS21-76 and my two Dale Martin books. I made the log raft from ABHB one summer and it floated for way longer than I thought it would - also made catfish jugs, the bb chucker, etc.

Family and I went hiking on the Tallulah gorge floor and a young scout leaped out of the viewing deck to help my wife across the first rock hop crossing. Good kids.
mudrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-18, 05:47 PM   #35
Swamp Angel
President

I wasn't familiar with the American Boys Handy Book until you just mentioned it. I think I need to make an order from Amazon now. My curiosity is piqued to a high degree! It sounds like a lot of the same lessons are taught in each book.

The Boy Scout Handbook and Fieldbook are two completely different entities. Both are official Boy Scout publications, but they have different uses. The Handbook relates directly to Scouting and advancing in the ranks through earning Skill Awards and Merit Badges. The Boy Scout Fieldbook relates more to woodcraft and survival. The Fieldbook would be a good addition to anyone's library. (Of course, there's not a durned thing wrong with having a collection of Army "programmed texts." A collection of those programmed texts helped me immensely with the Army Officer Selection Board once upon a time and long ago.)

Glad to hear that Scouts still exist and that young men still aspire to greatness and to being gentlemen. Maybe there is still hope for the upcoming generations.

This is the copy my parents got for me when I was a Scout, but my favorite edition was the one published in 1941 that my dad had when he was a "Lone Scout" in the swamps of south Mississippi in the early 1940s.

If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Last edited by Swamp Angel; 04-26-18 at 05:55 PM.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-18, 06:35 PM   #36
mudrun
Native

Pardon my confusion, Swamp Angel - I just opened my American Boys Handy Book and I see from the foreword that it was written by Daniel Carter Beard, the founder of the Boy Scouts in America.

The preface is Beard's original work - first sentence:
"Unless boys have materially changed their habits in the last few years, it matters little what the preface of this book may contain; for it will be skipped without a passing glance."

Enjoy this book!

Re: Army program texts - my sister in law did the Peace Corps in west Africa years ago, and my gift to her before she left was an Army survival manual. She rolled her eyes at the time but later said it turned out to be so useful that it was one of the few precious items that warranted space in her Africa-proof stuff sack.
mudrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-18, 10:19 AM   #37
Justinjh
Stocker

I forgot I picked up American Boys Handy Book too. Flipping through it, I saw several things I wanted to do. It will be just as much of a learning experience for me! I'll have to find a Fieldbook.
Justinjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-18, 11:29 AM   #38
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default BSA History

Check out this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...uts_of_America
JOHNKIES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-18, 11:48 AM   #39
Trouter23
Native

This is the best GSMNP report 'round these parts in a loooong time. Super pics, great story, and beautiful fish! I need to get back up there soon.