NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Warm Water Reports--Freshwater
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-18, 01:34 PM   #1
Sam_MTB
Native

Default My Summer Goal: Freshwater Grand Slam

Throughout the winter months, I'd catch myself daydreaming about all of the other kinds of warm weather fish that I should pay more attention to. I decided I'd make a warm weather goal to catch Stripers, Gar, and Carp (my freshwater "grand slam") over the summer. Hooked into and landed my first grass carp last night...and she was a big one (see attachment). Fought for 35 minutes with the perfect rod...a fiberglass 8 wt.

I hit the lower Etowah from Euharlee - Hardin both Saturday and Sunday mornings (early - 5:30AM) and caught largemouth. No stripers yet, but I feel like I am getting closer.

I just picked up an old Hyde Low Pro a few weeks ago which has really gotten be excited about all the other kinds of water/fish that I can now access. I'm planning to be on the Hooch a lot more once the water dies down, and have a couple trips planned to the Flint for some Shoalies. I've usually got an open seat...message me your # if you would like to be on the rotation of people that would like a ride next time I go out. Always looking for folks to learn with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CARP.JPG (69.0 KB, 66 views)
Sam_MTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 08:31 AM   #2
jonmo
Native

Thumbs up

Congrats man, that's a monster..Good luck hooking up a striper and shoalie soon..Keep us posted Sam!!

Doc
jonmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 08:35 AM   #3
JerryG
Native

Any gar?

I caught one the other day and now convinced they are the baddest fish in the river.
JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 09:26 AM   #4
Sam_MTB
Native

No gar yet. My first few floats before the rain i saw a ton of them. Got one to eat a trout fly, but it didnít set. Iíve tied up some rope flies since, so Iíll be ready!
Old 06-15-18, 10:42 AM   #5
JerryG
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_MTB View Post
No gar yet. My first few floats before the rain i saw a ton of them. Got one to eat a trout fly, but it didnít set. Iíve tied up some rope flies since, so Iíll be ready!
Nice. Same sorta thing here. Had 15 bites the other day, hooked one. Made some rope lures on cable leaders and took them out last night, had a few bite but nothing got snagged.
JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 11:47 AM   #6
Sam_MTB
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
Nice. Same sorta thing here. Had 15 bites the other day, hooked one. Made some rope lures on cable leaders and took them out last night, had a few bite but nothing got snagged.
I've read that once they take the rope, you have to give them slack and let them chomp and tangle up before bringing the line tight.