NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Welcome to NGTO > Suggestion Box
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-18, 10:14 PM   #131
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion
 
RScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Posts: 5,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athos View Post
........ I don’t know if it’s because of a change in the way the board is moderated and what we see, or if it really is just a shift in discourse, but it doesn’t feel like that anymore.
Well, I too appreciate the comments from the members, shows why this place was built in the first place. Even with some of the current noise, it has been worse. A lot worse. Absolutely serious on this note, we haven't had to ban anyone but Gatorbyte in 10 years, and his was more of a corner time out.

Opinions are like rusty balloon knots, they come out easily behind a key board. It usually happens when the river is high or in the dog days of summer, we happen to have both.
__________________
RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-18, 12:34 AM   #132
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame
 
browniez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hamilton Mill
Posts: 1,500
Default

As a side note, whatever GON just did to their forum is A-1.
__________________
I like em big fat and sloppy.
browniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-18, 08:33 AM   #133
splatek16
Moderator
 
splatek16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Suwanee, GA
Posts: 1,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
As a side note, whatever GON just did to their forum is A-1.
+1
And you need a PW to view threads, just tested without signing in.
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-18, 08:42 AM   #134
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame
 
browniez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hamilton Mill
Posts: 1,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
+1
And you need a PW to view threads, just tested without signing in.
Navigation and usability improved a lot as well. Just a more seamless feel after posting a couple times in the new format. They were down for a few days though.
__________________
I like em big fat and sloppy.
browniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-18, 09:11 AM   #135
splatek16
Moderator
 
splatek16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Suwanee, GA
Posts: 1,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
Navigation and usability improved a lot as well. Just a more seamless feel after posting a couple times in the new format. They were down for a few days though.
I have been over there a few times, but really never spent too much time, but this morning, after just moving around... it looks like a place I might need to spend more time. Thanks for the reminder!
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-18, 05:36 PM   #136
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member
 
fishinbub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jefferson, Ga
Posts: 5,196
Default

It's also worth noting that GON's fly fishing forum has a higher percentage of bait fishermen than NGTO (a site not specific to fly fishing) does...and a number of their regular posters used to be regulars here...
__________________
The first thing scripture tells us about man is that we're made in the image of God. The second thing it says is that man should have dominion over the fishes of the sea.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-18, 11:55 AM   #137
Ellicott
Native
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 75
Default

evolution of a ngto poster over time.

1. noob - learning and asking lots of questions.
2. first few hooch reports.
3. starts bluelining and reports.
4. what vice should I buy?
5. hey look at this NEW pheasant tail I tied.
5. hooks up with some ngto-ers, a new clique is formed.
6. the clique prolifically posts, lots of good banter between them.
7. learns it's best not to stream name.
8. has fight with people posting too much about small streams.
9. clique come to the rescue to support whatever side the clique supports, maybe battles a sub clique or the BOD.
10. posts less and less
11. stops posting except for very unspecific rare post.
12. still reading ngto just not participating like once did...

The cycling of the cliques happens every few years. All the feelings that everyone here is posting about were the same feelings a few years ago, and a few years before that, and a few years before that.

I am not saying it's bad or good, just my observations over many years.
Ellicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-18, 12:07 PM   #138
Isaac H
Native
 
Isaac H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Decatur, GA
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellicott View Post
evolution of a ngto poster over time.



1. noob - learning and asking lots of questions.

2. first few hooch reports.

3. starts bluelining and reports.

4. what vice should I buy?

5. hey look at this NEW pheasant tail I tied.

5. hooks up with some ngto-ers, a new clique is formed.

6. the clique prolifically posts, lots of good banter between them.

7. learns it's best not to stream name.

8. has fight with people posting too much about small streams.

9. clique come to the rescue to support whatever side the clique supports, maybe battles a sub clique or the BOD.

10. posts less and less

11. stops posting except for very unspecific rare post.

12. still reading ngto just not participating like once did...



The cycling of the cliques happens every few years. All the feelings that everyone here is posting about were the same feelings a few years ago, and a few years before that, and a few years before that.



I am not saying it's bad or good, just my observations over many years.


I’ve completed steps 1, 5, and 7. I’ll also add step 1.5....First “grip and grin” pics… Done that one too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Isaac H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-18, 12:07 PM   #139
Swamp Angel
President
 
Swamp Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lawrenceville, Georgia
Posts: 6,739
Blog Entries: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellicott View Post
evolution of a ngto poster over time. . .
Excellent observation, Robert. I have a feeling this cycle will continue to repeat itself many more times over the course of the next few years. Yeah, sometimes there's a wee bit of strife that permeates some threads, but seeing one group come to the rescue of their chosen member and the other do the same seems to me to be a good sign that friendships do indeed develop through interaction in these forums.

One item left out of NGTO's Mission Statement is:
To foster friendship and camaraderie among trout anglers and outdoor adventurers via interaction and discussion of a common enjoyment and hobby. (I just now made that up, but I'm pretty sure you pointed me there with your comments.)

Thanks for the thoughtful perspective. It's definitely very much the case.
__________________
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-18, 12:23 PM   #140
splatek16
Moderator
 
splatek16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Suwanee, GA
Posts: 1,894
Default

That sounds about right as the evolution of an NGTO'er.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Angel View Post
Excellent observation, Robert. I have a feeling this cycle will continue to repeat itself many more times over the course of the next few years. Yeah, sometimes there's a wee bit of strife that permeates some threads, but seeing one group come to the rescue of their chosen member and the other do the same seems to me to be a good sign that friendships do indeed develop through interaction in these forums.

One item left out of NGTO's Mission Statement is:
To foster friendship and camaraderie among trout anglers and outdoor adventurers via interaction and discussion of a common enjoyment and hobby. (I just now made that up, but I'm pretty sure you pointed me there with your comments.)

Thanks for the thoughtful perspective. It's definitely very much the case.
Agreed re the mission!
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
Copyright 2010 - North Georgia Trout Online - All Rights Reserved