NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fly Tying Bench > Fly Tying
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-18, 03:22 PM   #21
Swimmer
Native

I've been tying for over forty years. Does the hobby save you money from buying flies...no. But the satisfaction you get from catching fish on flies you've tied is worth it. Besides, it gives you something to do during the nasty months when you can't fish.

Regarding tools... I have probably 7-8 vices laying around. Several cost in the $500 range, but I tie all of my flies these days on a Pace Rotary vice that I paid about $125 for. It does all that I need and more.

Good luck with the new hobby if you get into it, but don't expect to save money.

"Big Y Fly" is your best friend if you wish to buy low cost flies that do the job.
Old 08-30-18, 03:23 PM   #22
xfctr77
Stocker

As a beginner in the fly tying area, I buy from Big Y for the flies that are more difficult to tie. I have a Renzetti traveling vise and I love it. I use it to tie the flies I am capable of tying. It's not cheap to get fitted up with materials for tying, but it's a great addition to the sport. I watch a lot of videos online to see how a fly is tied. I also buy flies if I frequent a fly shop in a new area. Always try to support the local shop.
xfctr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-18, 05:12 PM   #23
Prowler
Native, aka Tooga Prowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScott View Post
Your first 500 flies are gonna look like crap, dont worry, fish don't care and will eat them anyway.
RScott's flies still look like crap!!!

------Team Norvise------
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-18, 08:55 PM   #24
UncleJesse
Native

Prowler and the "GOOD" tyers don't understand. Trout are predators, we have all seen the animal films, predators go after the weak, the lame, not the prime prey. Therefore, lame flies, the damaged naturally catch more fish.
Old 09-01-18, 09:07 PM   #25
vancheesey
Native

Unclejesse wins...
Old 09-01-18, 09:23 PM   #26
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

A wise person once said that trout eat little brown fuzzy things.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 11:58 AM   #27
badcaster
Native

For me its the fun of it to pass the bad days and the joy of trying to teach my niece to tie. So that pretty much out weighs the cost. But a good vise that did not cost a lot for me was a HMH works great for all I tie.
badcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-18, 09:48 PM   #28
UncleJesse
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
A wise person once said that trout eat little brown fuzzy things.
An experienced friend told me when I was starting 90% of what a trout eats is some shade of brown and/or gray and 3/8 in. long.

If I had been into trout fly tying in high school I would have been a much better biology student. Studying the life cycle of insects would have been interesting

Last edited by UncleJesse; 09-03-18 at 09:55 PM.
UncleJesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-18, 10:13 PM   #29
Prowler
Native, aka Tooga Prowler

I actually enjoy tying almost as much as fishing. When I am tying I am visualizing me being on the river and using the fly that I am creating so even though I am at home, it allows me to escape the stress and turmoil of what is going on in my life and put it aside for a while when I am at the vise. There is also great satisfaction when you come up with a new idea, create a pattern and hit on something the trout can't resist. It is also nice to be able to sit down the night before a fishing trip and tie up a few flies that work well in the river you are fishing the next day instead of trying to make a run to a fly shop some where and buy some.

At the end of the day, it is pretty special to be able to sit down and create something out of feathers and fur that you can go out and fool a trout into hitting and when the trout enters the net you can say that you caught him on something that you created.

------Team Norvise------
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-18, 07:22 AM   #30
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I actually enjoy tying almost as much as fishing. When I am tying I am visualizing me being on the river and using the fly that I am creating so even though I am at home, it allows me to escape the stress and turmoil of what is going on in my life and put it aside for a while when I am at the vise. There is also great satisfaction when you come up with a new idea, create a pattern and hit on something the trout can't resist. It is also nice to be able to sit down the night before a fishing trip and tie up a few flies that work well in the river you are fishing the next day instead of trying to make a run to a fly shop some where and buy some.

At the end of the day, it is pretty special to be able to sit down and create something out of feathers and fur that you can go out and fool a trout into hitting and when the trout enters the net you can say that you caught him on something that you created.

When I caught my first fish (a tuckaseegee dh brook trout) on a fly I tied, I was flying high for days. It's that feeling you describe that keeps me at the vice. Unfortunately, time tresses days isn't letting me tie much, thank goodness the trout eat dark, black, brown, grey bugs that are small (easy to tie), as someone mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote