NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Firearms & Shooting
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-15, 09:31 AM   #11
Bob M
Hall of Fame Member

That would be one of the exaggerations in this often deeply emotional debate. Nobody gets to carry in court except the bailiff and the judge.

Religion can be a deeply emotional debate too. Occasionally those that practice it can be prone to violence too. Mandating training prior exercising that constitutional right would be complicated.
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 09:34 AM   #12
countrybuckaroo
Native

Is it mandatory to take driver's ed in GA for new drivers b/c hat's not really any different since you are putting a deadly weapon in the hands of someone who might not be proficient in the operation of a vehicle.

Kurt
countrybuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 10:22 AM   #13
jlhbarnes
Native

Drivers Ed is only mandatory if you are under 17. Also you can obtain Drivers Ed for free through the schools. Are we going to start offering state provide firearms training? For a driver's license all you have to do is pass an easy written test.

I agree that you should be trained, but to force some to spend a couple of hundred dollars to get the training is the problem. If the state is going to make it mandatory then we should, like drivers ed, provide a way to get it free of charge. And yes with Driver's Ed you are free to spend $$ to get the training from a private source so you don't have to wait for the free programs and it could be the same way with firearms training.

It would be like Hunter Education. We offer free Hunter Education ,material or you can pay via private company.

Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Fisherman
jlhbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 11:06 AM   #14
narcodog
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrybuckaroo View Post
Is it mandatory to take driver's ed in GA for new drivers b/c hat's not really any different since you are putting a deadly weapon in the hands of someone who might not be proficient in the operation of a vehicle.

Kurt
Carrying a gun is a Right
Driving is a privilege, big difference.
narcodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 01:13 PM   #15
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
Carrying a gun is a Right
Driving is a privilege, big difference.
Amen, and a Right shall not be infringed on by the federal, state or local government.

Should anyone purchase a firearm for whatever reason - I highly recommend at least 8 hrs of training by a professional, shoot at least 100 rounds through it so that you become very familiar with operating it. I like many of you had absolutely strict training from my family and then some more training thanks to Uncle Sam.

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 01:32 PM   #16
Riverpirate
Native

I think we need training in Parenting before people have kids. Parents do way more damage to society than those exercising their 2A rights.
Sounds stupid I know. I say no required gun training although I highly recommend it.
Old 02-12-15, 02:01 PM   #17
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhbarnes View Post
Drivers Ed is only mandatory if you are under 17. Also you can obtain Drivers Ed for free through the schools. Are we going to start offering state provide firearms training? For a driver's license all you have to do is pass an easy written test.

I agree that you should be trained, but to force some to spend a couple of hundred dollars to get the training is the problem. If the state is going to make it mandatory then we should, like drivers ed, provide a way to get it free of charge. And yes with Driver's Ed you are free to spend $$ to get the training from a private source so you don't have to wait for the free programs and it could be the same way with firearms training.

It would be like Hunter Education. We offer free Hunter Education ,material or you can pay via private company.
I'm all for gun safety but undoubtingly this money will find its way into government pockets.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 04:01 PM   #18
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default Training & 2nd Amendment

" ..... in order to form a well ordered militia." That sounds like training to me.

I really want people to be trained in firearms safety and to have realistic expectations about the consequences of taking another life, legally and morally. Showing your gun "license" should be a prerequisite to buying a gun. The details of how much training is necessary or other criteria I will leave to others. I have just seen too many fools out there. One that comes to mind is a woman in line in front of me in Starbucks with what appeared to be a .32 semi auto in a holster on the back of her hip. The gun barely fit the holster, the snap was undone and close to falling out. She had no business with a gun IMHO.

I have not been a fan of the NRA since Heston "jack booted thugs" comment was cheered at their convention. Bush I and sent out resignations to the NRA about the same time. HOWEVER the NRA used to provide really good, sensible firearms and hunter safety programs. That would be a good place to begin.
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 06:06 PM   #19
fredw
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by zug buggin View Post
Guys I'm on the other side of the coin, I understand that many people have extensive weapons training or have grown up like myself in a outdoor family and taught gun safety at a young age. My concern is for people that didnt grow up in a similar situation and dont have a respect for guns, or arent responsible, or simply have watched too much tv or played too many video games and dont really understand what it means to have a weapon and treat it safely and responsibly. Many people can pass a back ground check and buy and get a carry permit but I know many people that shouldnt be allowed to ever touch a weapon. I personally think it should be way more than 8 hours of training. Jessie I understand you and many others would be bored senseless with the training and experience you have, you clearly aren't what I'm worried about, its the person that has grown up in a situation without gun experience that scares me
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
" ..... in order to form a well ordered militia." That sounds like training to me.

I really want people to be trained in firearms safety and to have realistic expectations about the consequences of taking another life, legally and morally. Showing your gun "license" should be a prerequisite to buying a gun. The details of how much training is necessary or other criteria I will leave to others. I have just seen too many fools out there. One that comes to mind is a woman in line in front of me in Starbucks with what appeared to be a .32 semi auto in a holster on the back of her hip. The gun barely fit the holster, the snap was undone and close to falling out. She had no business with a gun IMHO.

I have not been a fan of the NRA since Heston "jack booted thugs" comment was cheered at their convention. Bush I and sent out resignations to the NRA about the same time. HOWEVER the NRA used to provide really good, sensible firearms and hunter safety programs. That would be a good place to begin.
Those who want mandatory training and requiring a gun license for buying a gun might prefer the law in a state like New Jersey (where both are required) rather than here. Take a look at the crime rates in New Jersey and see how well these government restrictions on our rights have worked.

Like River Pirate, I do encourage "voluntary" training for any new gun owner.

Last edited by fredw; 02-12-15 at 06:19 PM.
fredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 07:38 PM   #20
narcodog
Native

Well Fred, how about SC and MT, they have it and because SC has it they will not honor GA's permit.
If one ever has taught firearms instruction to anyone, rookie LEO's, or just folks off the street you would understand that it should be required. JMO
narcodog is online now   Reply With Quote