NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Firearms & Shooting
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-15, 09:07 PM   #31
UncleJesse
Native

If you want to impact the use of guns in crime, slap stiff penalties on people who use guns to commit crimes. Our system of justice is out of whack and needs revising. But if you use a guy to commit a crime, your butt should be sleeping behind bars for a long time.
Old 02-13-15, 09:53 PM   #32
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Default Mandatory gun training?

There are federal laws on the books now that add an enhancement to the sentencing guidelines if a firearm is used in the commission of a crime. I'm thinking of the FACE 5 program which adds a 5-year minimum sentence on top of the sentence for the original crime. The additional charge cannot be merged with the other sentence.

On the state level you have the charge of "Possession of a Firearm While in the Commission of a Crime" (OCGA 16-11-106). The penalty, like the federal statute, runs consecutively with any other sentence.

I think the problem lies with violators receiving watered-down sentences due to the frivolous use of probation and parole.

My dos pesos.

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 10:30 PM   #33
raptor
Native

Very interesting thread and thoughtful post... As many have stated, I grew-up during a time when guns were used for hunting and you learned proper respect for all firearms or you "went back to the truck". (that happened to me on one of my first hunting trips with my dad.) But, the world we live in is different. Almost anyone (including idiots) can get a gun with very little knowledge on the responsibilities associated with gun ownership.. Heck, I just renewed my carry permit by just sending a check ($15) to the county sheriff. I guess they performed a back-ground check, but I don't really know. The problem is that many folks have guns that do not require any type of screening and those of us who ARE RESPONSIBLE need to have the ability to protect our self and our families from those who have no respect of guns or even life... Just my thoughts as I grow older and more cynical...
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-15, 11:54 AM   #34
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default Misread

I think a couple folks misread or did not understand what I was attempting to say. My thought is that one must have a license to purchase a weapon. Nothing here about license to carry concealed or open, just to purchase. Period. The concept is that you have to experience some training and pass a test to legally purchase a weapon. And of course, there are those who will bypass all of this and steal or buy a saturday night special. The other side of this is that you show your license, purchase your weapon and the knowledge of ownership is between you and your licensed gun dealer; in other words, you don't need the federal purchase forms.

Someone said gun training is unconstitutional?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Again, to me, Well Regulated Militia" sounds a whole lot like training.

Finally, no, I do not have the comprehensive master plan to end gun violence, intentional and accidental. Most of us participating in this thread are gun owners and enthusiasts which to me says we should be in the best position to do some serious thinking on the topic and maybe even come up with a solution. --jk--
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-15, 02:11 PM   #35
fishstixatl
Native

I agree with jk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishstixatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-15, 02:16 PM   #36
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Stupid people should not be allowed to breed or vote. Problem solved.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-15, 02:28 PM   #37
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
Stupid people should not be allowed to breed or vote. Problem solved.

So who decides the stupidity bar?
Trout8myfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-15, 02:53 PM   #38
Khondker
Native

There are two anti gun bills in current session.

GeorgiaCarry.Org is working to kill all these anti gun bills.

We are hoping to kill all the anti gun bills in the very early stage.
Khondker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-15, 05:14 PM   #39
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout8myfly View Post
So who decides the stupidity bar?
As much as I would love to provide the simple answer to this question, it would violate the NGTO no politics rule.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-15, 08:08 PM   #40
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khondker View Post
There are two anti gun bills in current session.

GeorgiaCarry.Org is working to kill all these anti gun bills.

We are hoping to kill all the anti gun bills in the very early stage.
Actually three according to the NRA:

Quote:
Senate Bill 67, introduced by Senator Emanuel Jones (D-10), would prohibit the carrying of firearms in all public buildings.

Senate Bill 68, also introduced by Senator Jones, would add a required training component to the application for a weapons carry license, making the process more arduous and unnecessary for law-abiding citizens.

Senate Bill 73, introduced by Senator Steve Henson (D-41), would allow an individual to be detained by law enforcement for the purpose of investigating whether such individual has a weapons carry license. Under current Georgia law, every license holder must have their valid weapons carry license in their immediate possession at all times when carrying their firearm, but they cannot be detained for the sole purpose of investigating whether they have a weapons carry license. This bill would change the current law by taking away this critical protection.
I can see where SB67 might have a chance. I defer to the opinions of LEOs and former LEOs as to whether SB73 has legs. Or even makes any sense.
Trout8myfly is offline   Reply With Quote