NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Firearms & Shooting
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-15, 07:52 PM   #41
RoyC
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
Stupid people should not be allowed to breed or vote. Problem solved.
It is a good thing you did not say you have to have common sense to vote, for we would only need a single voting booth per county.

I'm not Retired, Fishing is a Full-Time JOB!
RoyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-15, 08:57 PM   #42
UncleJesse
Native

We potentially have a large problem with non-citizens voting. All you need is a SSN or a drivers license to register in many if not most states, that is more than adequate documentation to register to vote. There needs to a "non-citizen" designation' for DL when appropriate.
Old 02-16-15, 06:43 AM   #43
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
I think a couple folks misread or did not understand what I was attempting to say. My thought is that one must have a license to purchase a weapon.
They have that in Illinois and it doesn't work. Just another way to collect fees.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-15, 08:07 AM   #44
Jaxyaks
Native

Quote:
I think a couple folks misread or did not understand what I was attempting to say. My thought is that one must have a license to purchase a weapon. Nothing here about license to carry concealed or open, just to purchase. Period. The concept is that you have to experience some training and pass a test to legally purchase a weapon. And of course, there are those who will bypass all of this and steal or buy a saturday night special. The other side of this is that you show your license, purchase your weapon and the knowledge of ownership is between you and your licensed gun dealer; in other words, you don't need the federal purchase forms.

Someone said gun training is unconstitutional?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Again, to me, Well Regulated Militia" sounds a whole lot like training.

Finally, no, I do not have the comprehensive master plan to end gun violence, intentional and accidental. Most of us participating in this thread are gun owners and enthusiasts which to me says we should be in the best position to do some serious thinking on the topic and maybe even come up with a solution. --jk--

License to own sounds pretty anti 2nd amendment to me.

I'm pretty sure if you do a little digging there is more to the training proposal than just some concerned govt officials. The other thing that amuses me is the same folks that are in the gun business now that oppose training will be racking it up with training class fees. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a quiet lobby to get this passed to create a new career for every so called firearms trainer around.

The only way I will believe this is nothing more than profiteering is if the proposal and law states that the training will be conducted for a fee of no more than $25
Jaxyaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-15, 08:09 AM   #45
Jaxyaks
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout8myfly View Post
Actually three according to the NRA:

I can see where SB67 might have a chance. I defer to the opinions of LEOs and former LEOs as to whether SB73 has legs. Or even makes any sense.
Senate Bill 73, introduced by Senator Steve Henson (D-41), would allow an individual to be detained by law enforcement for the purpose of investigating whether such individual has a weapons carry license. Under current Georgia law, every license holder must have their valid weapons carry license in their immediate possession at all times when carrying their firearm, but they cannot be detained for the sole purpose of investigating whether they have a weapons carry license. This bill would change the current law by taking away this critical protection.

This is a very dangerous bill and should never be passed in any form
Old 02-16-15, 08:46 AM   #46
Bob M
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
This is a bit of a red herring. It's 'settled law' as SCOTUS has already ruled that the operative language is "the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-15, 08:59 AM   #47
RoyC
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
We potentially have a large problem with non-citizens voting. All you need is a SSN or a drivers license to register in many if not most states, that is more than adequate documentation to register to vote. There needs to a "non-citizen" designation' for DL when appropriate.
Please, that little requirement of having a birth certificate to get a SSN kind of filters out those people born in Canada that want to get a vote down here. I think you have been reading some of that fund raising stuff. At the end of the warning that the end is near, there is a please send money.

General observation, never trust those that want your money! They will say whatever it takes to vacation in Florida on your dime.

I'm not Retired, Fishing is a Full-Time JOB!
RoyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-15, 02:53 PM   #48
terry creech
Director, Hall of Fame Member

SB 73 doesn't rankle me as much as the other two. I've read the bill and just thought that, well, we can be detained for driving without a license until it's verified that we do indeed have one, so.... Just stirring, er, saying.
"Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37
terry creech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-15, 03:48 PM   #49
Jaxyaks
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry creech View Post
SB 73 doesn't rankle me as much as the other two. I've read the bill and just thought that, well, we can be detained for driving without a license until it's verified that we do indeed have one, so.... Just stirring, er, saying.
You can be detained for driving without a license once you have been stopped for something else, without probable cause that you are driving without a license your not stopped just because you look like you don't have a license.

The law gun law was written to prevent indiscriminate stops " just to check" that you have a permit. 73 wants to undo all of that. I personally don't want this, and I have worked in the field for a long time.

Better yet do away with the permit all together, it's kinda a mute point anyway and at this point it's nothing more than a revenue generator....
Old 02-16-15, 04:44 PM   #50
narcodog
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxyaks View Post
You can be detained for driving without a license once you have been stopped for something else, without probable cause that you are driving without a license your not stopped just because you look like you don't have a license.

The law gun law was written to prevent indiscriminate stops " just to check" that you have a permit. 73 wants to undo all of that. I personally don't want this, and I have worked in the field for a long time.

Better yet do away with the permit all together, it's kinda a mute point anyway and at this point it's nothing more than a revenue generator....
It would be a good idea to do away with a gun permit but then what would happen when you travel to another state? You would be in violation and subject to arrest in all but two states.
Since I am a retired LEO I'm eligible for a CCW authorized by the House bill 218, I think. I can carry in every state including NYC, and Wash DC. I pay $15.00 per year or thirty if I qualify two both a pistol or wheel gun. I don't mind this because every year I travel to many states chasing the spotted dace.

As it stands now a holder from GA can not carry in SC and several other states because GA does not have a testing program. So, lets say you fish the Chattooga and you pull up in the Hwy 28 parking lot and for what ever reason there sits an LEO. You are seen with a concealed weapon, you could very well get your butt busted.

Is it fair heck no but that's life. Sometimes the Sheep dogs have to get in line with the sheep to protect them...
narcodog is offline   Reply With Quote