NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Firearms & Shooting
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-11, 11:16 AM   #11
Bob M
Hall of Fame Member

Jared

The answer depends on what you are going to use it for.

Regarding caliber: If itís just an around the Southeast than you couldnít go wrong with a 270, 308, or 30-06. With the right bullet, those are good elk calibers too and will sensibly take anything in North America with the exception of brown bears. You might want to consider a 7mm-08 too. Great caliber. Magnum cartridges are over-kill for around here, which includes the 7mm, 300, and 338. That is not to say that they arenít fun, but they arenít the thing to start off with unless you want learn a recoil-induced flinch. Magnums aren't cheap to shoot either.

Regarding brand: There are a lot of very reasonably priced rifles and Ďsensibly pricedí is a growing segment with Mossberg and others entering the market. Iíd suggest Savage because of their Accutrigger. That said, there isnít a darn thing wrong with the others.

If you forced the answer to only one option Iíd have to say a Savage in 30-06. Good rifle and a flexible caliber with loads ranging from 100 gr plinkers and reduced-recoil deer loads all the way up to 200 gr round-nose solids at 2,400 fps that will go straight through big, tough critters.

Donít forget about optics

Bob
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 11:24 AM   #12
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary

Used? A gun show is your friend.

New? I just browsed Bass Pro to get an idea. Two combos caught my eye.
Both Savage, blued, synthetic, 3-9X40 in calibers ranging from 270 on the light side to 300WinMag & 7MM on the high side.
Model 111FCXP3 (detachable mag & no AccuTrigger) - $400
Model 111F - $580

Buck - You're set for coyotes!!!!
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 11:32 AM   #13
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
I inherited a Winchester .243 bolt action rifle and was wondering what it is best suited for? I assume it is a good rifle for hunting Whitetail Deer, but is it also suitable for something like Elk?
About the only NA animal that I would NOT use a 243 for are Moose, Brown Bears, and Polar Bears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyC View Post
No, way to small of a caliber.
Tell that to the Elk, Mule Deer and Caribou besides multiple whitetails that both my dad and I have harvested. Dad also shot a Red Stag with a 243. All 1 shot deals. It's shot placement, not caliber.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 11:45 AM   #14
KnotSlippin'
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyC View Post
No, way to small of a caliber.
With a well-placed shot and the right bullet, a .243 can take an elk. I know several folks who have been successful with their .243s. The foundation for a well-placed shot is knowing how well you shoot to a given distance.

When I'm hunting elk, muleys, whitetails, and even antelope, I use a Remington 700 .30-06. Some of my friends use .270s, 7mm, .300 WinMags, .308, .45-70 (which has rainbow-like ballistics), and yes, .243. It all depends on how well you shoot what you have. My rifle fits me well, I can carry it all day (even longer when I'm on horseback!), and with my bipod I"m solid with 2" diameter groups at 300 yds. I'd like to narrow that down this fall, but that's going to require some time at the range. Hopefully, I'll have a sheep tag this year...

Steven
Old 02-23-11, 11:47 AM   #15
KnotSlippin'
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntfish View Post
About the only NA animal that I would NOT use a 243 for are Moose, Brown Bears, and Polar Bears.

Tell that to the Elk, Mule Deer and Caribou besides multiple whitetails that both my dad and I have harvested. Dad also shot a Red Stag with a 243. All 1 shot deals. It's shot placement, not caliber.
Huntfish beat me to it.
Old 02-23-11, 11:49 AM   #16
Bob M
Hall of Fame Member

I agree with Huntfish and would only add 'bullet construction' to his point on shot placement.
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 12:34 PM   #17
_Cold_
Native

Last edited by _Cold_; 02-14-14 at 06:09 PM.
_Cold_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 12:54 PM   #18
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Cold_ View Post
While you can kill nearly any animal with any caliber (and perhaps at reasonable range), there is a reason why most people don't go deer hunting with a .22, and why elk hunters typically use a heavier caliber rifle such as a .300 Win.

"Possible" and "ideal" are two different things.

Just sayin'
First off, .22 rimfire are illegal in most states for large game so that's not possible. The use of heavier caliber (you state .300 Win Mag but not my definition) for elk is just hype. They try to overcompensate their lack of markmanship and experience with a larger caliber.

Read some Jack O'Connor (270) for all North Amercian Animals and WDM Bell (6mm [243] & 7X57 [270]) on elephants.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 01:30 PM   #19
Big Browns
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntfish View Post
Reaching out and "touch" something has no bearing on the calibre, it's the shooter and his/her ability. One should definitely be aware of their capabilities with the rifle and try not to extend beyond that distance.
Let me start by sayin that I do not hunt! Nor do I think I'm a know it all like some of the people on the forum! I guess what I was trying to say is that a 300 win mag is a tack driver and a very flat shooting rifle. It has the capability of taking game at very long distances. I like it because it can take any animal in NA!

And yes, the shooter should only hunt within his limits. Some guys are just that good and it doesn't matter what they carry, be it a 270, 308, 30-06, 7mm mag,300 win mag etc

My old roommate and very close friend comes from a family of gunsmiths, so this is where I learned about guns. I wish I grew up hunting, my Dad wasn't into it.

My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

Big Browns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 01:35 PM   #20
MariettaMike
Native

Default Tikka T3, 7mm Rem Mag, Savage

I just bought a Tikka T3 in 308 that is made in Finland by Sako. Mine shoots almost same hole groups off bags on bench at 100 yds which for a $600 rifle is phenomenal. They make magnum calibers, but as others above have said is too much for around here. Magnum calibers in this light of a rifle will knock your shoulder/fillings out if not shouldered properly. BPS link below.

http://www.basspro.com/Tikka-T3-Hunt...18048/-1109012

The Tikka replaced a Benelli R1 300 Win Mag. The former owner who was getting up in years sold it becasue it kicked too hard. I sold it without ever firing it because I don't plan on elk hunting and if you're shooting a magnum for its range capabilities then using a semi-auto with recoil dampening to do it is counterproductive. Plus ammo is more expensive.

I have known elk hunters that really like the 7mm Rem Mag.

I also heard Savage is making some pretty good rifles for under $400.

If I bought another gun it would be Buck Henry's 243 for 1/2 of what he thinks its worth.

Thats my $.02.
MariettaMike is offline   Reply With Quote