NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Firearms & Shooting
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-11, 12:35 PM   #21
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

As for the original question. I shoot Winchesters, Brownings, Rugers and Remington in various calibers ranging from 22.250 through 375 H&H. Although, my go to gun, when traveling is an old Ruger M77 in 30.06. Why? I've shot that gun for over thirty years and it's almost an extension of my arm. I know how it will shoot and up to what range I'm comfortable with it (600 yards) on a solid rest.

I agree with bullet composition also. Yes, plain old CoreLokt's will work great for Whitetail and I use them; but when I step up to larger game (mule deer or larger) or expected long range shooting (pronghorns), I change ammo. I also practice and sight int with that ammo and create my own ballistic chart rather than look on the box. It makes a huge difference. For example, 150 grain Remington Corelokt zeroed at 100 yards. Replacing with 150 grain Remington Ballistic Tip results in a 5 inch rise. Replacing with 150 grain Sirroco's results in a 8 inch rise. Changing to a Winchester 180 grain Accubond results in a 2 inch drop.

Another thing to consider is ammo availability in the area you are planning on hunting. Yes... bags get lost in transit, people forget ammo etc. Most remote locations won't have that 300 RSM or 338 readily available for sale. More than likely, neither will anybody else in camp.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, when traveling, check your scope by sending a few down range prior to hunting. A lot of guides (especially elk) get lazy and expect their clients to be able to shoot 300 yards which is not often the case. Be extremely honest with your guide about your shooting prowess and you both will have a better trip.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 12:42 PM   #22
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Browns View Post
Let me start by sayin that I do not hunt! Nor do I think I'm a know it all like some of the people on the forum! I guess what I was trying to say is that a 300 win mag is a tack driver and a very flat shooting rifle. It has the capability of taking game at very long distances. I like it because it can take any animal in NA!

And yes, the shooter should only hunt within his limits. Some guys are just that good and it doesn't matter what they carry, be it a 270, 308, 30-06, 7mm mag,300 win mag etc

My old roommate and very close friend comes from a family of gunsmiths, so this is where I learned about guns. I wish I grew up hunting, my Dad wasn't into it.
I wasn't saying anything about your choice of the 300 Win Mag. I own and shoot one also and yes, i can drive tacks. What I was refering to was not to overcompensate thinking that a larger caliber was better rather than shooting skills. Trust me, it doesn't matter if you hit the elk with a 300 Win Mag, 456 Win Mag or 243 Win. If you don't place the shot correctly, you will have a long day. As for flat shooting, not really that much difference between a 30.06 and 300 Win Mag, ~ 1.5 inches differences at 300 yards. You can flatten that out if you reload.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=100134

Another thing to consider is recoil. A 300 Win Mag will give you about 5 more pounds of recoil vs. 30.06

Last edited by huntfish; 02-23-11 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-23-11, 01:10 PM   #23
_Cold_
Native

Last edited by _Cold_; 02-14-14 at 05:08 PM.
_Cold_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 01:24 PM   #24
Bob M
Hall of Fame Member

An M77 in 30-06 is my go to as well but, since the thread started off with price sensitivity, I looked a litter lower on the $ scale. I opted for a Savage in 338 Win Mag because I doubted that I'd use it enough to 'rationalize' spending more for this caliber. I had plans to replace the Accutrigger because I'm not generally fond of gizmos. One trip to the range proved otherwise. ...and of course, with all due respect to you Glock fans.
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 01:29 PM   #25
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Cold_ View Post
.222 then

Either way, while I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm most definitely saying that there are reasons why certain calibers tend to be used and not used for certain applications.
It's more for convience and comfort. If someone wants to learn good shooting skills and shoot alot, go with a 22 LR where ammo is relatively cheap. Shooting prairie dogs with a High Power rifle would be expensive and hard on the shoulder after a 100 rounds, hence the 17, 22, 222 which is almost recoiless.
Old 02-23-11, 01:34 PM   #26
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Like reels, rods, lines, flies..........Arguing what rifle, caliber, scope is best is the same thing.

Ulimate objective is to cleanly harvest your animal.
Old 02-23-11, 01:51 PM   #27
Bob M
Hall of Fame Member

Which is our segue into the topics of cartridge efficiency and over-bore. Bring on the 338-06 and the 35 Whelan with a 1:12 twist!

The cooking part is imprtant too. ...and now, with all due respect to you catch-&-releasers.
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 01:56 PM   #28
Big Browns
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntfish View Post
Like reels, rods, lines, flies..........Arguing what rifle, caliber, scope is best is the same thing.

Ulimate objective is to cleanly harvest your animal.
Agreed! You know what they say about opinions....

Before I would buy a rifle for targeting elk, I would want to know what distance I'd be shooting from on average. I'm guessing that a majority of elk are taken in the 150-300 yd range.... If that is true, I'd guess I'd go with the ole tried and true 06.... Or maybe I'd try to get a little closer and go cowboy style with an old lever action 44 or maybe the classic 30-30

Like I said, I don't hunt, so what do I know...

I have done a lot of shooting with my old 10-22, which I love BTW, and i can say it would be the first gun I'd grab in a WSHTF situation. Anything within 100yds is DRT!!! Iron sights of course.

My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

Big Browns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 07:49 PM   #29
tommyking
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntfish View Post
Reaching out and "touch" something has no bearing on the calibre, it's the shooter and his/her ability. One should definitely be aware of their capabilities with the rifle and try not to extend beyond that distance.
Yep I can shoot a deer at a hundred yards with snub nose 38 and shoot a deer at a hundred yards with a hickory bow don't you know.
Old 02-23-11, 08:03 PM   #30
Big Browns
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyking View Post
Yep I can shoot a deer at a hundred yards with snub nose 38 and shoot a deer at a hundred yards with a hickory bow don't you know.
as long as your shot placement is on point!

My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

Big Browns is offline   Reply With Quote